A lighthearted look at sea cucumbers and sea squirts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sierrakilo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys,

I though I'd bring two rather funny blog entries to your attention. One's about sea cucumbers, and one's about sea squirts. It's not very scientific, but it does make marine biology rather entertaining.

A sample: "Now if you are married to a woman who’ll wake you up in the middle of the night, to ask how to solve a rubiks cube, or why it was that the Roman Empire fell or some other such obscure 3 am question, you will most likely have thought about how to get away with murder. [...] And this is of course purely speculative, but if you did want to get away with murder, a good bet would be poisoning with something so obscure, noone would think about testing for it in a autopsy. Indeed, to the disgruntled and all too improperly awoken husband, the abundant toxicity of the aquatic realm should be rather interesting.

And regarding sea squirts: "The free-swimming larvae stage lasts only a short time, as the larvae aren’t capable of feeding. Soon, they seek out the bottom and cement themselves headfirst to the spot where they will spend the rest of their lives. It’s not unlike moving to the suburbs, putting up a white picket fence and having kids really. "

Best regards,

Last edited:
What a delightful writing style! I am looking forward to grazing through the blog archives.

Back
Top Bottom