A guide is worth a 1000 words

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
One of my best dive guides in Coz really earned my applause on a single dive by finding two teeny well hidden critters...

Maybe called a whitenosed pipefish?
8823PPIPE.jpg

This guy was behind a bunch of outgrowths, up on a little ledge, around a corner...all in all a tough area to shove camera and light into. I took several but only like this one, really. He was wiggling around, not really going anywhere, and it made it tough for me to get his eye in focus on other shots.
Cropped so you can see the critter:
8823PPIPEc.jpg

And one of these rare beauties that I can't remember the exact name of...
8823PELYSIA.jpg

...it was hidden in a little patch of grass, away from the main area of the reef we were gliding over. Although Jorge was pointing it out to each diver, only a couple actually saw it! I was only able to take a couple of shots as others were waiting...then I forgot where it was when they had moved off (I moved out of the way and on to something else while others had a look) and I was too far from Jorge to ask for help! Duh...that's what happens on a life intensive site - I just get too distracted by everything!
8823PELYSIAc.jpg

Cool Whitenose Pipefish...you got the name right. I've only seen one and you're right, they aren't easy to shoot! Good job :thumb:

The Nudi is a new one for me, so colorful. In your first photo, the first thing I thought was "What's a Mandarinfish doing in Coz!?" Same colors. According to my Humann's Reef Creature ID book, page 299, it's a Painted Elysia, Elysia picta. I like your photo better!

Back
Top Bottom