A GUE Entry Level Class for a Complete Dive Noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the excellent write-up. So many instructors don't understand that starting students from day one not to kneel on the bottom is possible, and is good. I'm glad that you found a good instructor who understands this! Now the fun begins!

I agree, Bluewater.

When I was in the middle of my course, I came across a wonderful documentary on GUE's Rec 1 course. The name of the documentary is "Testing New Waters: GUE Rec1 Dive Course"; it was directed by Elena Konstantinou ("Testing New Waters" GUE Rec1 dive course on Vimeo). (It was filmed in your area of the world!)

The only substantial difference between my course and the course described in the documentary is that I didn't use a dry suit and the students in the documentary used dry suits. However, learning buoyancy control, horizontal trim, and the unified team concept were fundamental in my course in the Saint Lawrence River and the course described in the documentary in the Red Sea. On the basis of those skills, other essential skills such as being able to share gas in a second (as donor or receiver) without losing control of team, trim, or buoyancy, are learned by repetitive practice. It's amazing how the right repetitive practice solidifies muscle memories. I remember the first times I tried to share gas; I was so discombobulated that I would end up high up or far below from my buddy; it is important to learn to do it immediately and with control so that one does not become overwhelmed in an emergency situation and become overcome by panic.

Last edited:
Congratulations! What a great introduction to scuba.

It's absolutely amazing the skills one learns in Rec 1. Once I had the privileged to join the final experience dive of a Rec 1 course and was truly amazed (and slightly jealous) to see how much these new divers had learned in just a week or so.

It took till GUE Fundies (around 200 dives) before I encountered similar training and learned similar skill.

Enjoy :)!

Congrats! I've been diving with your wife in Cozumel, hope to dive with both of you there someday!

Thanks, Doc Larry, drydiver, and kathydee.

Lisa and I plan to drive in January to Florida with all our gear... My first dives in (almost) tropical warm waters!:shades:

...plan to drive in January to Florida...

If you have drysuits, take them with you. Winter in Florida can be pretty cold.

Last time we went diving in Florida in the winter, people laughed at us when we pulled out the drysuits. By the end of the day about one-third of the divers were shivering and skipped the last dive.

I agree, Bluewater.

When I was in the middle of my course, I came across a wonderful documentary on GUE's Rec 1 course. The name of the documentary is "Testing New Waters: GUE Rec1 Dive Course"; it was directed by Elena Konstantinou ("Testing New Waters" GUE Rec1 dive course on Vimeo). (It was filmed in your area of the world!)

The only substantial difference between my course and the course described in the documentary is that I didn't use a dry suit and the students in the documentary used dry suits. However, learning buoyancy control, horizontal trim, and the unified team concept were fundamental in my course in the Saint Lawrence River and the course described in the documentary in the Red Sea. On the basis of those skills, other essential skills such as being able to share gas in a second (as donor or receiver) without losing control of team, trim, or buoyancy, are learned by repetitive practice. It's amazing how the right repetitive practice solidifies muscle memories. I remember the first times I tried to share gas; I was so discombobulated that I would end up high up or far below from my buddy; it is important to learn to do it immediately and with control so that one does not become overwhelmed in an emergency situation and become overcome by panic.
That's a wonderful video on the Rec 1 class.

Back
Top Bottom