A funny situation of OOA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bisonduquebec

Registered
Reaction score
Ok. First of all, this may not fit in this category since it is clearly not a near miss and not really a lesson learned. But it is still a experience that I was very lucky to experience.

During my first scuba course OW1, we were diving with small old alu tanks that would hold less then 2000psi for a class in a 18' depth pool. We always had plenty of air. No console (this is 10 years ago). Note that console were added at mid course - when the owner of the school broke a great deal with 90$CAN per console.

Anyway, My buddy and I are doing our exercices and suddenly, I am having a hard time taking a breath of air. I stop, think - this is odd - try again, Yeap, no air at all. Bottle must be empty. I am still relaxed and thinking wow, there are no much warning sign. When you found out, it is too late already. Ok time to signal my buddy, I slash my throat and wait for the signal and the octopus right?. False. He answers with a slash throat as well. I am thinking, ok, we really need to do some more training.... So I am sending him the signal again hoping that this time he understands and gives me some air. Same answer - Damn. Suddently, I understand we are both out of air at the exact same time, with the exact same relaxed approach.

Time to use to ascend procedure but without octopus. slowly making it back to the surface. All this took less then 30 seconds. No panic, relaxed... in fact very funny.

We laugh about it for some time. Looking back at it, I am very happy that I was able to experience this in a control environment and feeling what the whole thing is about. With proper training, panic should never happen.

So I think this still fits into lesson learned. You can't rely on your buddy for everything. Training is essential. Until you experience it, you have no clue what to expect - so try it in a control environment.

bisonduquebec:
Ok. First of all, this may not fit in this category since it is clearly not a near miss and not really a lesson learned. But it is still a experience that I was very lucky to experience.

During my first scuba course OW1, we were diving with small old alu tanks that would hold less then 2000psi for a class in a 18' depth pool. We always had plenty of air. No console (this is 10 years ago). Note that console were added at mid course - when the owner of the school broke a great deal with 90$CAN per console.

Anyway, My buddy and I are doing our exercices and suddenly, I am having a hard time taking a breath of air. I stop, think - this is odd - try again, Yeap, no air at all. Bottle must be empty. I am still relaxed and thinking wow, there are no much warning sign. When you found out, it is too late already. Ok time to signal my buddy, I slash my throat and wait for the signal and the octopus right?. False. He answers with a slash throat as well. I am thinking, ok, we really need to do some more training.... So I am sending him the signal again hoping that this time he understands and gives me some air. Same answer - Damn. Suddently, I understand we are both out of air at the exact same time, with the exact same relaxed approach.

Time to use to ascend procedure but without octopus. slowly making it back to the surface. All this took less then 30 seconds. No panic, relaxed... in fact very funny.

We laugh about it for some time. Looking back at it, I am very happy that I was able to experience this in a control environment and feeling what the whole thing is about. With proper training, panic should never happen.

So I think this still fits into lesson learned. You can't rely on your buddy for everything. Training is essential. Until you experience it, you have no clue what to expect - so try it in a control environment.

when was this!? Yikes!

Quebec? Are you from there?

I think it's very helpful for a diver to know what it feels like when breathing a tank completely dry. This is a good thing to do on land some time.

Yes Quebec. Class taken in the old days (lol) when most of the tanks still had the reserve mode. Console were replacing the old steel line on the side of the tank. So the setup was : old tank with reserve switch - no steel line - and waiting for the console to be attached. The console were attached 2 week after the training started.

Of course the DM saw everything but since we were handling it to is liking, he let us managed it. We changed bottles and got back to enjoy every minutes left of it.

I guess it would be hard to try this today. I don't think a DM would let it happen. Maybe it should be part of training?

I don't know about anybody else, but in my OW class, they turned our air off and had us breathe so that we would get to know the feeling of sucking on a dry tank. It is not a feeling I want to recognize again :)

pants!:
I think it's very helpful for a diver to know what it feels like when breathing a tank completely dry. This is a good thing to do on land some time.

It's important to remember that when you breather a tank "empty" at depth, to keep your reg in your mouth, because as you ascend you are likely to get another breath or two out of the tank and/or hose. I'm not going to explain the physics of this, but I'm sure someone else will. You wouldn't have noticed a difference from 18' most likely, but certainly at depths of 50' or more. BTW - I don't recommend trying this for practice. Just remember in case of emergency.

humanFish:
It's important to remember that when you breather a tank "empty" at depth, to keep your reg in your mouth, because as you ascend you are likely to get another breath or two out of the tank and/or hose. I'm not going to explain the physics of this, but I'm sure someone else will. You wouldn't have noticed a difference from 18' most likely, but certainly at depths of 50' or more. BTW - I don't recommend trying this for practice. Just remember in case of emergency.

helps keep you from aspirating water as well.

TSandM:
I don't know about anybody else, but in my OW class, they turned our air off and had us breathe so that we would get to know the feeling of sucking on a dry tank. It is not a feeling I want to recognize again :)

We didn't do that in class but I often suck it dry when shutting the rig down, just for that reason. I've been leary about depressurizing the system in open water for feat of getting water back into the 1st stage and or SPG.

Pete

The physic is quite simple. The first and second stage are reducing the pressure from the bottle according to the ambient pressure you are into (water pressure). So, when your are going up, ambient pressure will drop and the first stage will let air out again. In Theory, you should be able to get a breath of air every ATM or so. So if you are at 100ft, you need minimum 100 seconds to go back to the surface. If you are able to get 2 or 3 breath, you should be able to hold that long without any problem (Aldo I am not looking into trying this one).

I think shutting down the valve is a very good exercise that should be handle in every OW class.

BTW: We did keep or reg in our mouth.

Both out of air at the exact same time??

Wow, I hope you went right out and bought a lotto ticket... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom