A friendly giant joins us on a dive in Malaysia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NickLongfellow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
After a long 9 month season here in Perhentians, knee deep in confined water, day in and day out. I was starting to think I was not going to get that.. (aaahhhhh *angelic sound and shining light*) dive moment this season, and had effectively sold my scuba soul to the devil so as to pull myself up from poverty. And onward I trudged, until last sunday a second dive DSD decided not to show and so I hopped on the boat anyhow and.. sweet bliss. We drop in @ Terumbu Tiga (T3) off of Besar, only boat on the water, and low and behold. Crystal clear blue water. Haven't seen this viz since july. Perfect for photos! Oh yes, this will be good. Julia and I drop in a few harry swim throughs which we can never try because of students, and about 15 minutes into a totally serene dive, what's that I hear in the distance?! An excited ratty tat tat of a tank banger? I think so, oh it's like christmas I tell you. As we make our way through the massive and towering granite boulders of of T3 we run across charlotte and steve, who simply point into the blue. And then the shadow materializes. coming in head long over the first boulders of the reef this 6 meter whale shark plows through the group trailing a ****ing school of remoras and cobia. I had to shoot a quick 4 poorly aimed shots immediately, out of sheer duty. I'm thinking he'll continue on and we'll be left ****ting our pants and cherishing the few fleeting glances we got. But then he starts circling, and coming closer and coming back, swimming directly over us, under us, chasing two divers who ran low on air around on the surface. swimming away until we couldn't see him, then turning around and coming straight back, checking out the boat, going head up and floating infront of us, totally calm and totally curious. It was nuts. We had a good 40 minutes with him. He had something like 100 remoras around him, and at times I think he was enjoying the bubbles a bit too much if you know what I mean! So anyway, that was my ahhh *angelic sounds and shining light* story for the season. Just had to sing it from the rooftops I suppose. Cant let a moment like that dissapear in the ages, oh no. It certainly left a boat full of excited staff bumping fists and drinking cold beer in the shop end of the day wildly exchanging stories. Got some nice shots as the thoughtful fellow left me enough time to dial in some manual setting and play around with aperture and whatnot. Anyhow enjoy the pictures and any advice is gladly received.

Nick Longfellow

p.s. Until you've seen the sheer panic on an open water divers face when a whale shark chases him, you have NOT LIVED! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl3.gif

p.p.s. All shots taken with an S95 in ikelite housing, wide angle lens, and Inon D2000 strobe.

Attachments

• IMG_5823.jpg
    IMG_5823.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5827.jpg
    IMG_5827.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5836.jpg
    IMG_5836.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5838.jpg
    IMG_5838.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5816.jpg
    IMG_5816.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 98
wow, two thing. firstly, I sort of object to the censorship going on here with my swearing. Does SB not differentiate between excited swearing and angry swearing?! Anyhow, I'll let it go. Secondly I suck at smileys and obviously shouldn't have tried to use one. Should have known I would mess something up a 6 year old girl can do. I apologize.

I just came from the Perhentians! I was there early Sept, there was a whale shark around Temple at the time, but I missed him :(
So awesome that you saw one though, thanks for sharing :D

LOL @Nick - Like making paragraphs?

For swearing, consider replacing letters with numbers. An E can be 3 and the I can be a 1, etc.
Ex: Holy sh1t I was 4ucking scared

Nice pics, and I can understand you being excited about it. Thanks for sharing!

Great shots, Nick, improved, IMHO, by the size of the "entourage" around the shark.

Back
Top Bottom