A friend gave me some old publications he kept from childhood..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Billy for your post-aka @dead dog - I almost missed it -- thought the thread was dead

Actually my correct NAUI instructor number is A-27. "A" as in Apple but in this case "A" as in Associate.

FYI a little history ...

NAUI came to life via the late great Neil Hess LA Co Underwater Instructor, also brother of Captain Roger Hess, who had a dedicated column in the 1950s Skin Diver magazine (SDM) titled "American Diving Patrol." In the column he repeatedly suggested that a national SCUBA diving organization be established

In the late 1950s Hess relinquished the column and departed for to a eastern Ivy league school for his Ph.D.(aka Doctorate) in electrical engineering, where tragically he passed on to the big reef in the sky.

This left a huge void which was filled by the very capable the late Albert Tillman, who just happened to be working on his Ph.D in Physical education (Al and his older brother Don, also a diver of note both had doctorates in physical education.)

Al was also a world class organizer. He assumed Neil's column and through it and the Underwater Society of America (USA) organized and presented the first NAUI course in Huston Texas in association with the USA convention in August 1960.

The course was based on the very demanding LA County course, which was extremely difficult for so many in that first NAUI course. All were listed as graduating but many were graduated as "Provisionals" and after the course never completed the requirements for full NAUI instructor never to teach a NAUI course and faded away into diver obscurity

Al and others in the fledgling organization recognized they needed knowledgeable experienced instructors with proven abilities to shore up NAUI. Thus was born the Associate NAUI Instructor

To became an Associate first you had to be very active and visible in the diving instruction community and then recommended by some one of equal or greater status. At that time I was working as a CDO/DSO on Andy Rechnitzer's DDS program who recommended me (FYI google Andy Rechnitzer)

I took my time filled out the application sent it off to Zale Parry, who is NAUI A-1 and received the number A-27. In the year the program was in place only a few were honored with an A number. Very prestigious and some what an intimidation in the NAUI community.

At the NAUI huge anniversary party in Jacksonville, Florida it was discovered only a few Associates were still alive.. We unilaterally decided , after the passage all these years to drop the A prefix to avoid questions such as yours.

My I suggest that you secure and read two articles in NAUI Sources Magazine. The present quarterly edition has a full page article about your basic LA Co/NAUI instructor Harry Vetter, NAUI instructor #4 which you will note after reading it that I provided the information.

The previous edition had a two page lay out on the Associates and just some of their many contributions to recreational diving and NAUI. Only six was featured, most were in the big reef. Spence Campbell and I were the only ones still up right and active.

Yes I also have the book. Al sent me a copy just after publication. Mine is not autographed but inscribed by Al & Zale. As you possibly know here is a huge difference between signed and inscribed in the bibliophile world Al and I discussed a number of facts during the books preparation and I am mentioned two times in the book as I recall

You have been active in SoCal diving for many years but I have moved to CenCal and lost track of you and your accomplishments and contributions , Did you ever advance above basic diver,? publish an article?, be featured in books? received any diving honors ? Just what were your accomplishments ?

The lovey warm CenCal sun is up and my dog Lucky wants to go for a walk

Ta Ta for Now

Dr. Samuel Miller,111

Last edited:
I took my time filled out the application sent it off to Zale Parry, who is NAUI A-1 and received the number A-27. In the year the program was in place only a few were honored with an A number. Very prestigious and some what an intimidation in the NAUI community.

So you filled out some papers and were made a super-duper NAUI bubble blowing instructor. How great, sounds like something that PADI would do. I'm sure it was some what a very intimidation in the NAUI community.

At the NAUI huge anniversary party in Jacksonville, Florida it was discovered only a few Associates were still alive.. We unilaterally decided, after the passage all these years to drop the A prefix to avoid questions such as yours.

u·ni·lat·er·al·ly....
adverb
  1. 1.
    used to indicate that something is done by only one person, group, or country involved in a situation, without the agreement of others.
Was that done by you? OMG! ! !

Yes I also have the book. Al sent me a copy just after publication. Mine is not autographed but inscribed by Al & Zale. As you possibly know here is a huge difference between signed and inscribed in the bibliophile world

I could care less about the bibliophile world, if a book is signed or inscribed, lol I just made that in jest, because that's what you say every time you mention a book you own.

You have been active in SoCal diving for many years but I have moved to CenCal and lost track of you and your accomplishments and contributions , Did you ever advance above basic diver,? publish an article?, be featured in books? received any diving honors ? Just what were your accomplishments ?

You never lost track of me, we just made a deal ( a bad one at that ) for a tank valve and an Aquatic Center back pack, this past year. Remember?

I've never boasted about my accomplishments and contributions. I am/was a sports diver and survivor, nothing more than that. I never felt I needed to go be on Advance Diver. I have no need to collect badges.

I never self-promoted myself as well as you have. I'm sure you have the readers here on this forum waiting with bated breath for your up coming new super duper new book to go on sale.

The bottom line is, you never completed the NAUI training program, ( got a shoe in ) sad.
You might want to return the word " Associate " in front of your NAUI #27 instructor badge.

Toot-a-Loo for now.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom