A+ for GeoFish Divers in Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Between 9/5 and 9/11 Steve and I did 9 dives in 7 days with Geofish Divers in Playa Del Carmen. Steve, Morgan, Thomas, the boat crew and especially Marco did a fantastic job at showing us the local reef and Taj Mahal Cenote while staying within our dive budget.

All the equipment we rented from the shop was in good condition and the water was so warm, 83 degreees, that no wetsuit was needed with the exception of the 73 degree Centoe dive in which I wore a 5mil shortie. Excluding the first day dives, which were shared with some Discovery Divers and served as a check out dive, we didn't dive with more then 4 divers on any one dive.

After not diving since December 08 we started off with 2 shallow reef dives. Moche Shallow and Jardine. We didn't dive deeper then 45 feet and enjoyed 45-minute bottom times on both dives. These were nice easy dives with small walls, no drift, plenty of life and a pleasure to practice our rusty skills on. We came up after the second dive feeling very happy and alive.

Our next dive, Los Tortugas, was our first real drift dive in the 30 or so dives we've done since learning to dive 2 years ago. I found it very fast and kind of felt like George Jetson shouting for Jane to “stop this crazy thing”. I learned you can't fight the current to see things you missed while drifting by. I had no real problem, just a new experience. We were 74 feet for 35 minutes. We saw only one Tortugas, but saw a school of Tarpon. maybe 15 of them, the biggest being about 7 feet long. Very exciting! Second dive that day was Barracuda Reef, also a drift dive. I was a little more comfortable at the slower speed of this drift. 46 feet for 47 minutes. Nice finger reef that was home to a big stingray and a scary barracuda.

The 5th dive was the most challenging dive we've done to date. We were diving the Momma Viña wreck, a drift dive with quick decent to 93 feet. We needed to descend quick enough as to not allow the current to sweep us past the wreck. We descended very fast. Too fast for another couple on the boat who had problems equalizing and aborted the dive. We waited for them on a towline for about 500-700PSI and then continued on without them. We saw a BULL SHARK shortly after, out about 500 yards from the right side of the front of the wreck! Never felt in danger but was really excited to see the shark in the distance. We communicated with several other dive ops but the 3 of us, including Marco the dive instructor, were the only ones to see it. We were told it was odd to have seen it at all as it is not currently Bull Shark Season and the dive operator suggested this spotting was a result of sharks not migrating because other Dive Ops fed the sharks in order to keep them around for Bull Shark Dives. The current was strong as we ascended enough to get in the wreck and look out the windows. Coming back out of the wreck I was fighting hard not to be swept away in the current and called the dive. When we got back in the boat the woman who aborted her dive during decent was sucking on oxygen and covering her ears. She tried to descend while having ear equalization issues and broke the capillaries in her nose. She was fine, but it tweaked us all out a bit, that and the shark, and the current. We cancelled our second dive and went back to the shop.

The shop took every good care of all of us. No one was ever in danger but they went way out of the way to ensure we were all safe and that no one had a bad experience. They suggested a trip to the hyperbolic chamber, but it wasn’t needed. They even comp’d the day's dives and sent the couple with the equalization issue on a tour of the ruins. Geofish didn't have to do this and I was really happy we chose Geofish to dive with. They were 100% professional and stand up kinda shop.

The next day we did 2 very relaxed wall dives and saw so much life, Barracuda again and Sabalos. We followed a beautiful hawkbill turtle for a long time down a reef finger; saw more barracuda and eels and rays. Both of the dives were long. Like 48 feet for 52 minutes. Highly enjoyable.

Our final dives were at Taj Mahal Cenote. We originally intended to do Dos Ojos but we were insured that Taj Mahal was less traveled and had more decoration. We were very pleased with all the stalactites and stalagmites and saw tons of sea urchin fossils and a huge brain coral fossil. Thomas our guide was very knowledgeable and displayed pristine cenote safety while showing us a good time.

All in all I would highly recommend Geofish Divers.

Geofish Dive - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling & PADI Instruction in Playa del Carmen & Cozumel, Mexico

I would not recommend the hotel we stayed in so I won't mention their name.
We had fantastic food everywhere we went. I highly suggest El Fagon for 7 peso El Pastor Tacos, HC Monterrey for Steak Arrcharra, and La Pesca for Shrimp Cocktail and grilled Snapper. All these restaurants were around 30th ave near the Mega. We never ate for more then 30 bucks a meal, most being around 10 dollars.

Not sure if I’d go back to Playa as it is too much a city for my vacation tastes but if we did I’d dive with Geo again for sure.

BTW on the flight home someone stole my dive watch out of my luggage. Word to the wise; take that kind of thing on the flight with you. Homeowner’s insurance deductible was too high to replace the watch. Bummer.

Attachments

• PICT0110.jpg
    PICT0110.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about your dive watch. Bull sharks are awesome creatures, what a treat to get to see one.

Safe diving,

PH

Hi Beth and Steve - it was good to have met you in Playa! I never did find the taco shop - maybe next time.

I agree with your post - Geofish provides good service -I got 14 dives that week including helping out on a couple pool sessions and I only heard praise from every student and diver that went through the shop. Morgan is pleasure to work with, Marco is a great DM and José and Marco are a great boat crew.

Also, you would've loved the dive we did at Sabalos on Saturday although it was a bit intense. Morgan said he had never been as anxious on a dive - all of our heart rates went up - we ran into a great barracuda ( 5 ft +) which of course not normally an issue. However, this particular barracuda was hunting and the fish he was hunting decided that us divers made a good refuge. So, as the fish chose us individually for his refuge the barracuda dive bombed each diver. I had to kick him away with my fins several times and I was trying to swat the fish away from my face but he wouldn't leave. So, I gathered the other divers on the bottom since they were starting to scatter just a bit. Next, Morgan tried to scare off the barracuda but it wasn't backing off, in fact as we were huddled on the bottom the fish swam right through all of us and of course the barracuda right after it..........missing a OW student by mm.

Finally, we were about 40 minutes into the dive so we all kept our eye on the cuda as we stayed on the bottom and slowly moved away.........good for us the fish didn't follow. We were all amazed that no one got bit by the barracuda. We did make it to the nice swim through to end the dive.

Like I said - you would've loved it......it would've been and exciting end for your trip.

Hope everything went well on your Hopland trip.

Take care!

Jim

Whoa! 5+ Foot! Intense!
Geofish Divers are the same dive shop that saw a sail fish and marlin on the same dive a few months ago. They must have good diving Karma!
Pleasure diving with you and hope your wife had no pineapple chunks sightings this trip.

Whoa! 5+ Foot! Intense!
Geofish Divers are the same dive shop that saw a sail fish and marlin on the same dive a few months ago. They must have good diving Karma!
Pleasure diving with you and hope your wife had no pineapple chunks sightings this trip.
Ha ha, No, no pinapple chunks :) No surge in Playa.

I forgot I told that story, hopefully she won't see this thread :)

Take care!

Our final dives were at Taj Mahal Cenote. We originally intended to do Dos Ojos but we were insured that Taj Mahal was less traveled and had more decoration. We were very pleased with all the stalactites and stalagmites and saw tons of sea urchin fossils and a huge brain coral fossil. Thomas our guide was very knowledgeable and displayed pristine cenote safety while showing us a good time.

What day did you dive Taj Mahal? I dove it Thurs the 10th, we got there about noon.
Dove Ponderosa first, we were the only ones there. Quite a bit of difference between the two but I enjoyed both dives.

We dove Taj Mahal on Thursday the 10th as well. When we got there we saw a woman being instructed on Cave Diving. Our guide and her instructor were the only vehicles parked when we started our dive. After our first dive there were a couple of other cars in the lot and we spoke with a woman who was snorkling while her friend dove. We were done diving by 2. Perhaps our paths crossed slightly.

We saw a BULL SHARK shortly after, out about 500 yards from the right side of the front of the wreck! Never felt in danger but was really excited to see the shark in the distance. QUOTE]

Great vis!!! :wink:

Beth, thank you so much! I was just trying to decide which shop to go with in PDC and you really helped. I will email geo-fish today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom