A few words about the real DIR guys...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, talk about a hijacking. Anyway, it has been interesting reading. Frankly Mr. Jay, it sounds like you have been drinking too many of those grass drinks?! I'm sold on Genesis' argurments.

cwb once bubbled...
Perhaps a glimpse into why certain people act the way they do and make certain demands...

1991 Indian Springs Incident by GI3

1991 Indians Springs Incident by Bill Gavin

Some lessons learned from 1991 Incident

Perspective is everything...

Below is an example from Quest of GI3 trying to save lives by using strong, but hopefully effective, tactics. The widow of a diver has banded WITH him to try to help educate divers and prevent other deaths.

I want to show readers on this board that GI3 has a multi-faceted personality, just like the rest of us. If you only hear certain aspects, that is the only basis you may have to form your opinions.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:04:43 -0500 George Irvine <trey> wrote:

Lisa, this post of yours has brought out the usual suspects from the Buddy Inspiration cheering section, who are about the same caliber of mentality as you would expect to see at a cock fight. They are citing some web links that contain examples of stupidity that are beyond the pale, but they see them as fantastic accomplishments.

Maybe you and the rest of the Buddy Inspiration widows can explain to these morons what it really means to have your husband killed by a piece of s**t like Martin Parker, by the crap training out there, by the "every man for himself" mentality of the tough guy Brits who seem to feel these devices make them a real man, and by the very "accomplishments" ( read doing stupid
things and getting away with it) that they are so proud of.
The funny thing is that they want to attack me over your post.

Your husband is dead along with countless others due to this piece of crap and the thinking that surrounds it, and we have some lame moron on here telling me how superior these people are and how screwed up GUE is ( now he has changed
that to "DIR").

Maybe you can put some of the things you told me privately on here and save some lives. While the idiots are well recognized by most of us a idiots, you never know who you could prevent from suffering like you have.

-----Original Message-----
To: trey
Cc: lisa3; techdiver@aquanaut.com; quest@gue.com
Subject: RE: Nic Gotto Inquest
Hi George,
You are so right. Paul thought he was helping with breakthroughs when he particepated in the early trimix dives on the unit. Everyone on the inspiration site knew what he was doing, he and a dozen or so others discussed how they were using mix on the unit. Not a word of caution from the manufacturers, they must have loved all the free research they were getting done by Paul and the others. There was even a chamber dive planned to further asess the performance of the unit on trimix.

Then his accident and all of a sudden he was some kind of rogue and the statement was that he died because he was using trimix.
The unit is sold to be used with trimix and heliox, how did the use of trimix kill him? We cannot see another diver related reason so lets blame it on trimix. Paul did not die because he was using trimix but this was the get out initially used. There are plenty of people using trimix on the unit now. Some very lucky people.

Imagine, you have the full suport of your peers and are in freequent contact with the manufacturers detailing exactly what you are doing. Suddenly, you die whilst using one of these units and all that suport dissapears and you become some maveric doing things they would never condone.

Paul had had no end of problems with the unit so was extremely cautious and meticulous whilst using it. Replacement scrubber lids and a replacement unit and numerous discussions with AP.

How does it feel to be the widow?

When the people your sole mate entrusted his life to abandon him and use him as a scapegoat? They have a quote published in a magazine stating their sympathy for you when you can see nothing has been done to rectify the situation, they do nothing and they act like nothing has hapened.

When the daughter you bore after he died wishes on a star that she could see her father.

When your entire life has been thrown up in the air and slowly falls back down to the ground shattering in to unrecoverable peices.

When collegues at work dash in to a utility room when they see you walking towards them in a corridoor because they just don't know what to say to you. You feel like a leper.

When people ask you 'hello, how are you?' ( normal, polite) you have to say 'fine thanks' ( normal, polite) but inside you want to screem at them for asking such a stupid question. How the hell do they think you feel - but it is not their fault, they don't know how much that simple question rips you apart.

When you spend endless hours with his patents explaining, trying to make some sense of it. No parent expects to loose their child.

When you are evicted and your home is reposessed because you are not named on the mortgage. The home you shared for almost a decade.

When you sit every night in silence on the sofa desperate to hear his keys in the door as he comes home to you.
You hear about 15 more people loosing their life on the same unit but still no questions are asked.

And all the time the one you love is being used as a scapegoat, called an idiot by people who never met him, and every time you try to defend him you are pushed off as an hysterical woman. You look deeper and deeper and ask questions that no-one will answer.

You have to listen to his reputation being ripped to shreds even though you know what people are saying is wrong.

Shall I go on, or do you get the impression?

Martin Parker has spoken to me twice. Once at Paul's inquest where he said 'stuffy in there, isn't it' and once at Nic Gotto's inquest where he tried to say hello as if we were old friends, and asked was I well, in the most incredable upbeat maner, I was horrified and speachless. He seems to have absolutely no concept.

As for the other things I can tell you about their performance, how about attempting to submit a graph ( of how long the loop could sustain life) at a public inquest, which was massively innacurate but if it had been believed could have explained the pathologists findings. The graph's innacuracy was
exposed and there was no other way AP could explain the pathologist's findings. The pathalogical evidence that Paul had been alive for some time, probably hours, following a hypoxic event.

Frankly Mr. Jay, it sounds like you have been drinking too many of those grass drinks?! I'm sold on Genesis' argurments.

Heheheee...

I don't think we really disagree on a whole lot... Only a few percentages. He says 40% heavy greens, I say 80% heavy greens. He says 60% animal, I say 20% animal. I say you can have a few starches if your body has no predisposed problems with diabetes. He says basically the same, if even more conservative on starchy foods.

His ideas are based around losing weight. My ideas are based around blood health, regardless of weight (although that's certainly going to be a by-product of either of these diets).

The only true disagreement here is that I believe that I'm going to generally do a complete or near-complete phase-out of animal products. He feels that this is too extreme, but doesn't drink milk anyway.

I think the real point here... And you can derive it through either my posts or his; doesn't matter... Is that we need to be aware of our eating habits. For me, it wasn't just eating... It was tobacco use, too. (That's a whole other hotly debated topic with Gen, although he doesn't smoke either.) It boils down to, "You can't survive on coffee, donuts, french fries and milkshakes." At least, not in a healthy state.

It appears that my thought process is much heavier on the greens, but I allow myself more glucose than you do.

To be perfectly honest here, Iit sounds to me that while these two diets are statistically different, the reality is that they aren't all that opposing. I think more greens and less animal, you think more animal and less starch.

I think you can be "ok", assuming your body doesn't revolt in the area of insulin tolerance, with either approach - the one you're taking and the one I'm taking. I don't have a family history of diabetes; I just find that a low-fat, low-animal products nutrition regime is almost impossible for me to stay on and be happy with.

The other way is simple for me, in that I only "lose" one food that I really like (baked potatoes), and if I occasionally indulge in lasagna it won't kill me. If I want a steak I eat it, but sub the veggies out for the spud. Plus, I love both stir-fry and salmon, and neither of those is likely to do me much harm :)

What is clear, though, is that you can't eat both the fats AND the sugars (either in the form of carbs or just pure sugar) and do all that well, unless your caloric needs are extreme (e.g. you're burning 3,000+ calories a day, which few people are.)

Statistically speaking, loading up on those high-glycemic foods and refined sugars is how we got to be where we are now, with more than half our adult population obese and the rates of heart disease and diabetes going through the ceiling.

That sucks, and since I'd like to make it well past 60, I had to decide how I was not going to contribute to the "bad side" of the statistics....

Go nuts on the Jetfins :)

Oh, and come down here and shoot a fish with me. I bet one of my buddies will even let you use their speargun, so you're not down there unarmed :wink:

Genesis once bubbled...

What is clear, though, is that you can't eat both the fats AND the sugars (either in the form of carbs or just pure sugar) and do all that well, unless your caloric needs are extreme (e.g. you're burning 3,000+ calories a day, which few people are.)

Bingo... I completely agree.

Statistically speaking, loading up on those high-glycemic foods and refined sugars is how we got to be where we are now, with more than half our adult population obese and the rates of heart disease and diabetes going through the ceiling.

Yep, and that's the problem that I think we're all trying to avoid.

Go nuts on the Jetfins :)

Ha! Boy, that'll start a war, won't it? I gotta give 'em a fair shake, I think, with a different set of booties... Lemme think about it a while before I lay into them. :D

Oh, and come down here and shoot a fish with me. I bet one of my buddies will even let you use their speargun, so you're not down there unarmed :wink:

Very cool! I'd love to dive... But there ain't no way I'm shootin' a damn fish... :D I'd rather dive PEACEFULLY. :D

Very cool! I'd love to dive... But there ain't no way I'm shootin' a damn fish... I'd rather dive PEACEFULLY.

Well, you're not supposed to shoot 'em unless you intend to shortly turn on the grill and eat 'em :)

There's nothing quite like just-stopped-flopping grouper or snapper going on the grill..... yummy stuff - and good for 'ya besides :)

(If 'ya want a challenge, show up here in the next few weeks and you might get a shot at a Cobia. If you survive the encounter - I haven't shot one yet, but have heard stories of the fishie trying to wrap 'em to the point of no escape - they're great eating... :wink:

Put some sport in your diving SeaJay!) =-)

Genesis once bubbled...
Put some sport in your diving SeaJay!

Lol... Dunno about that one... I think you and I have different definitions of the word, "sport." :D

Now, if you gave the fish a speargun and told him that I was edible, and we were on equal terms, then maybe I'd consider it a "sport." The way I see it, you're just a thug pickin' on da little fishie... :D

Unless, of course, you ate him afterwards... Then it's called, "hunting." But you see, I'm already not for that, and criticized for it as well. :(

I'd rather swim in peace and enjoy the view... Work up an appetite and enjoy some greens after the dive. :D

But I appreciate the offer. :) Maybe instead we can do some wreck-hunting...

plenty of them to dive around here too... :)

(PS: My compressor came in today. As soon as I can get the electrical done for it I'll be "charged" - literally :) )

Cool! "Compressor?" You mean that when I come down I won't have to pay for air fills? Cool! :D

SeaJay,
Its OK, keep on drinkin' your Greens man! All my co-workers and college students used to 'razz' me until THEY saw I was the one going for 18 hrs a day and never tired, sick or feeling crummy.

Guess what, most of them have jumped on the bandwagon and now are saying "Wow, this stuff IS really awesome! I have loads of energy and find myself eating better and not craving the junk foods I used to!"

Anyone who would like more info on this PM me for the web site link.

Drink, drink and be happy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom