A few questions on beginning a career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kundalinichi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I have already done all the research I could and decided on a school - now I am more interested in gear, and what comes after.

With no lack on money, what kind of harness should I be looking at? Dive school said that they will go over this in the intro classes, but I am interested in what this board with its experience has dealt with (surface supplied, mainly offshore). The only reqirement for the schools gear is a "Five point safety harness", if I can use it after training, even better. I have been eyeing harnesses by Atlantic diving equipment with all the different configuration options (roller buckles, shoulder adjuster, etc). Coming from recreational diving background, I can imagine the harnesses with built in "backpacks" can make the bailout a bit more stable and less likely to flop around (as pictured)
full%20body%20harness%20w_%20roller%20bu.jpg

Concerning "breaking out" such as in the GOM - say you go through the hell that is getting a job and breaking out - if you get a better diving offer from a different company only 6 months after breaking out as a diver (which I know is a bad idea, as ive read about the advantages of staying loyal with a company), would you have to go through a similar process (other then the trials that the company puts forth in gauging skill level), or when they see you have done X hours as a tender, and X hours as a air diver, are you not looking at an extensive break out period that is talked about when you enter the field? Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are going to start buying your own gear a divers harness with a bail-out mount is mandatory. You can not dive without a redundant gas supply. The rigs you have shown are acceptable. The more buckles, the more adjustable.

Kirby Morgan also has harnesses based on the Miller designs. I think the price is similar or a little less. Also check DECA Diving in Santa Barbara for harnesses.

There is no advantage to staying loyal to any company. You just a resource, unless it is a really small company were everyone is basically family. If you break-out and you are still being asked to work by the same company that you are ahead of the game. If the company is really that bad, than don't hang around. It is just not worth it if you hate your job, and/or the company does not have a good "safety" focus.

My harness is from

Atlantic Diving Equipment
16509 Sylvan Dr.
Bowie MD 20715

301 464 8852

Thanks for the replies - and the insight. I guess I must have taken the dive schools counsellors words too literally in regards to 'staying loyal'.

Davetowz - I am currently as far away (other side of the country) from the LDS that will be local when going to dive school, and from my experience with other LDS, they may try to charge more under the idea that warranties are LDS supplied, etc etc, doing whatever they can to get more bucks out of you. I still plan on giving them a chance as the dive school said that the local shops offer 'package deals' for students, but I am still doing prelim research into gear and the main brands I have heard for harnesses are Atlantic diving equipment, and Miller.

Davetowz: Most LDS don't carry commercial diving equipment. It is actually a specialized field of equipment and it does not sell very often. An LDS will only carry that which they can sell and move off the shelf on a regular basis. Also, most LDS will not even know where to order such items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom