A few pics from the weekend.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitehead

Contributor
Reaction score
These are a few shots from a weekend damnam Thailand sub aqua club dive club outing to Pattaya [Thailand] - not a location known for great vis hence I can only give you macro...

img1004whiteheadweb.jpg

img1014whiteheadweb.jpg

img1011whiteheadweb.jpg

Pattaya dive trip

All shots nikon f80, nx80, YS 90 x 2, f32 1/90, 105 mm, 100 ASA

Nice shots! The detail is really impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Did you take these on night dives, thus the dark background, or are they adjusted from PS?

F80 is a film SLR, yes? What type of film or slide did you use? Thanks.

marpacifica:
Did you take these on night dives, thus the dark background, or are they adjusted from PS?

F80 is a film SLR, yes? What type of film or slide did you use? Thanks.

Hi,

Film was Fuji Velvia 100 (slide film) and was scanned with a Nikon 4000.

All of the shots are taken during the day but with a very high Fstop (f32) - you get a black background a) if there's only water behind the subject (nothing to reflect the light from the strobes back to the camera/film) or b) if you place the strobes right at the end of the port (lens barrel) with their light pattern cutting across the subject (i.e. strobes at 45 degrees and the aiming point of both strobes intersect at the subject)- thereby there is no light to reflect back to the camera/film.

Here is an example of b) : The bottom of the sea bed is only about 1.5 feet behind the plate coral but as the light is not aimed on it, it cannnot reflect to light the camera/film hence it looks like a "black void"

img1002whiteheadweb.jpg

You should be able to get exactly the same results with the Oly at about f8 upwards (I had a 4040 before the F80) - with the S2 the effect should be achievable starting around f16 (but with limited DOF for the shot hence the need to push up to f32 and concentrate on strobe placement as strobe placement is the real key to macro at high Fstops).

Thanks for the tips, WH.

I'll try the f/8+ and strobe placement techniques next time down. Looks like I'll need quite a few dives before I get the combination right when I take the S2 for a dip -- good thing I live 10 minutes away from diving.

On the Oly, you can get the same effect using a higher shutter speed, so that the exposure is not effected by background's ambient light level - you tend to need a bit more distance from the subject to anything hanging about in the background though.

Stunning shots by the way!!

good stuff you guys. Thanks

Whitehead....I'll take your low viz shots any day! Most excellent. Thanks for the exposure info.

Fantastic shots! Thanks for sharing the macro tips also :biggrin:

WOW, just fantastic!....thanks for the info too.....can't say more right now...kinda speachless
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom