A few ideas on how to improve OW training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just thought I'd throw out a few ideas on how to improve OW training, especially in low visibility, from another thread.

Teach divers how to get the attention of everyone else when something's not right. For example, show where you can attach a carabiner so you can reach it and bang on your tank, and practice that so it's automatic when you're under stress.

Put (non-blinking) tank marker lights on the buddy teams (blue team, red team, green team) so it's easier to identify your buddy in a group of black-clad divers.

Give divers more training in buddy formations. Too often in classes you end up with an amorphous group or with a line of ducklings. I'm no expert, but here's what I've gathered from trial and error: one diver behind the other doesn't work if the person in the back has trouble. One diver holding on to the other's upper arm works great, especially when the vis is terrible or when one diver's concentrating on the compass, but it's annoying. Side by side is good but takes practice, and with a frog kick you have to be more than an arm's length apart. One just above the other is OK, but makes it hard for the person who's lower down to check on their buddy (slightly better than one behind the other, since you're at least closer together).

Thoughts?

These ideas seem pretty good. Perhaps there are reasons why they are not done. Maybe some experienced instructors can point out the reasons why?

Those things that you are proposing are ok, however, many of those comes with the first 20 dives.
I think it's not possible to get good enough and self aware divers out of the first OWD course. To do this a course should take a year and check out dives should be more than 10. The brand new diver has to dive under suppervision or in easy enviroments for the first 15~20 dives. Part of this is responsability of the LDSs not allowing a brand new diver do a complex dive (deep, low vis, currents, choppy waters and a long list of etceteras). Another part is responsability of the dive school, where the brand new diver should be completelly aware that this is the beginning. And a final part is responsability of the diver itself, considering that he is the main responsible for his own life and security. Every dive school should emphasize this concept.
I appreciatte a LDS that request all my C-cards and dive log, to see if I'm qualified to do the dives I want to do and if I dived at least in the past 3 months.
I also appreciatte a dive school who emphasizes that diver´s security is first and a safe diver enjoys the dive. A dive school that emphasizes that the dive rules are there to be stictly followed, not like crossing a red light, as a way to be able to enjoy the next dive.

the safety and supervision of unqualified divers lies with the instructor.

its his or her responsability to determine if the conditions are safe for ow training.

Let's assume that the vis is low but within the range of what's reasonable, given the number of students in the class and the number of assistants. Low's a vague concept, I know, but in some areas getting more than 20 feet of visibility might not be an option in the summer. The instructor can bring down smaller groups or whatever if needed.

---------- Post added ----------

I definitely don't want this to get off on a tangent about "how does the instructor decide when the visibility is good enough". Please assume the visibility is "good enough", but not great. Would this help?

in some areas getting more than 20 feet of visibility might not be an option in the summer.

:rofl3: ummm, if I have over 6 feet of visibility it is a good day of training, if we find 20 feet we might never leave.

Let's assume that the vis is low but within the range of what's reasonable, given the number of students in the class and the number of assistants. Low's a vague concept, I know, but in some areas getting more than 20 feet of visibility might not be an option in the summer. The instructor can bring down smaller groups or whatever if needed.

I definitely don't want this to get off on a tangent about "how does the instructor decide when the visibility is good enough". Please assume the visibility is "good enough", but not great. Would this help?

20 feet OMG where can I sign up :)
We useualy get less then 10 in summer, more like 5 feet.
But never had an OW buddy team break up, just teach them in the pool to stay CLOSE and they will do fine in OW.
Normaly "the team"leads and I follow, haveing a good over view of them. I do tend to sing/humm during the dive, so students can hear me and know I'm around. Just correcting their hedding when they go off. (Happens a lot) :D

:rofl3: ummm, if I have over 6 feet of visibility it is a good day of training, if we find 20 feet we might never leave.

:rofl3: Glad I'm not the only one :rofl3:

You are right that training probably doesn't emphasize buddy pair formation enough. But it's real simple the training should consist of this "swim next to your buddy side by side, shoulder to shoulder no more than 2 feet apart, not one in front of the other single file, not one above the other, but side to side only, got it?" But I'm not a dive professional so what do I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom