a few DIR questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah Mark has mellowed and he doesn't bite now that they've taken his teeth out :wink:
Just kidding about the teeth part. Mark is very knowledgable and if you put in some time to build a relationship, his is very nice and helpful. I'll keep spending money there.

PM sent to Bob! Immediately!! and thanks for everyone elses input!

... and responded. I've met some great folks thru ScubaBoard ... only too happy to keep that tradition going ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Buccaneer:
I am not sure if I am fully commited to making the full DIR switch,(I like my console, damnit!) but I am coming around.
About the console -- wait and see how you feel as you get along. In switching to DIR, probably the hardest thing for me to say goodbye to was my air-integrated, console-mounted Suunto Cobra. But I'm happy to say I'm now an analog-SPG-, wrist-mounted-compass- and wrist-mounted-Suunto-D3-toting diver with no regrets.

Frank O:
About the console -- wait and see how you feel as you get along. In switching to DIR, probably the hardest thing for me to say goodbye to was my air-integrated, console-mounted Suunto Cobra. But I'm happy to say I'm now an analog-SPG-, wrist-mounted-compass- and wrist-mounted-Suunto-D3-toting diver with no regrets.
That was my next question: Where do DIR guys keep the compass. I didn't think a retractable compass was DIR. I assume a bottom timer on one wrist and a compass on another? Wrist slate on left arm above .

Buccaneer:
That was my next question: Where do DIR guys keep the compass. I didn't think a retractable compass was DIR. I assume a bottom timer on one wrist and a compass on another? Wrist slate on left arm above .

sorry sweetie, wrist slate is not DIR, get wetnotes and put them in your pocket.

but yes, bottom timer on one arm, watch and compass on the other

Buccaneer:

I put my depth guage/bottom timer (Suunto D3) on my right wrist. That way, while ascending and descending and dialing into my stops/depth, I have my left hand free to operate my dump valve or inflator and still easily keep an eye on my depth guage/bottom timer.

You can turn your retractor compass into a wrist compass in a jiffy ... I did it with my old console compass, and it served me well for a long time. I'll show you how on Monday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Buccaneer,

Most of us who dive the DIR system were first attracted to it due to the simplied, streamlined gear.

As you're learning about the gear changes, make sure you seek some mentoring in the team and skill development/refinement aspects of DIR. It is truly these skills and this team concept that allows me, as a GUE diver, to have more fun when I dive, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom