A DM Candidate with a problem (lesson learned)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here at Blue Season Bali we have many Divemaster Trainees coming through our program. In the last portion opf their internship with us once the standard has been approved by our professional Developments staff through guiding workshops,we will send out the DMT nearing completion for a final assessment with guests under direct supervision of one of our PADI Instructors. Any thing that is omitted in preparation for the dive by the DMT is instantly corrected ( briefings, equipment etc) by the Instructor overseeing the days trip and underwater the Instructor is always on hand to assist or help navigate if things take a turn for the worse in any way.

Even when the dives go perfectly there is always something that the DMT can take away from the experience of the Instructor...Even to this day 2000 dives later i learn something new myself on every dive!

BLUE SEASON BALI

Diving Bali | Dive Courses Bali
PADI Member Award Winner 2010; Outstanding Dive Center 2010
Commitment to Instructor Development 2010​

You got some solid advice here, you should use it to your advantage. I'd add that PADI is not the only agency and there are other LDS that may be more "intentive" to business. Take your lessons learned and move on and up, don't give up! Good Luck

Having dived all around the world this is something i have found more common with divers from the USA,rely on the DM,you are certified you are responsible for yourself, DM will advice you on a plan, dive site,entry exit etc.

Really? USA divers? I haven't noticed that from divers here in California. I haven't actually seen a divemaster get in the water on the charter boats I've been on from San Pedro, Ventura or San Diego. Everybody is pretty self sufficient. Maybe they do on the east coast?

I am a DMT myself and the amount of mistakes I have made doing stuff or not doing stuff would be a really big list. The important thing in all of this is that you learn from them.
Some of the mistakes I have made:
- Not putting on my weightbelt before entering the water (this was actually pretty funny).
- Dragging a very large man 100m back to the boat (I am not very big either), when all I needed to do was cramp relief to him. This was a part of a mock rescue.
- Getting lost on a shore dive.

I have taken 10-11 months to do my Dive master on a part time basis, I have learnt bucketloads not just about diving, but also about management and organisation. If I made a mistake with students, my instructor would point it out, we'd have a laugh and we'd use it as a learning tool - how NOT to do xyz.

You also have to have a sense of humour about it. My trainers have all told me some pretty funny stuff ups they have done, dispite them being highly trained and highly experienced professionals.
If you are feeling down, just remember that you want to get your certification and it will not be an easy path, however it will very worthwhile!

Really? USA divers? I haven't noticed that from divers here in California. I haven't actually seen a divemaster get in the water on the charter boats I've been on from San Pedro, Ventura or San Diego. Everybody is pretty self sufficient. Maybe they do on the east coast?

Not here either in NC. Even down in the Florida Keys you have to pay extra for one. Never seen it standard around these parts.

Second that! Virginia, NC and Florida are all pretty much the same from my experience. No DM in the water unless you request one.

However, Hawaii (Maui and Kauai) and Mexico seemed to use multipule DM's in the water on every dive.

FWIW:D

Having dived all around the world this is something i have found more common with divers from the USA,rely on the DM,you are certified you are responsible for yourself, DM will advice you on a plan, dive site,entry exit etc.

Perhaps your comment refers to 'vacation divers from US'. Have you been diving in the Channel Islands in So Cal? If so, you know it's pretty rare a diver is relying on the DM. As you've now read, it's the same on the other coast in some places.

I'd venture to guess that "vacation divers" from anywhere will rely on a DM equally. I don't think it's geographic. Plus, look how it's done: Many tourist diving destinations actually require you follow a guide. Here you have pay extra to have one.

Back
Top Bottom