a "diving" dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cediver

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been in Oahu here for about 2 months, been diving once off Magic Island. Wasn't the greatest, but I was wet and breathing underwater. I'm looking for a dive buddy that actually wants to dive. I'm a full time student, so I can go mostly through the week (mornings) and sometimes on the weekend (sat afternoon, or sunday). I own all my gear and basically just need a buddy to dive with. I live up around Whitmore Village/Wahiawa area and my number is 808-384-6576. If you're interested call or write and we'll see if we can get something worked out. Look forward to hearing from somebody, anybody that likes to dive.

Casey

We've got a good sized group put together through the med school at UH, mostly grad students and lab techs. We try to get out most weekends, either at magic island or on the north shore. You're welcome to join us anytime, just send me a pm with your contact info. Also, we've put together an advanced class at Uh that still has a few slots open.

Matt

mjcoussens:
We've got a good sized group put together through the med school at UH, mostly grad students and lab techs. We try to get out most weekends, either at magic island or on the north shore. You're welcome to join us anytime, just send me a pm with your contact info. Also, we've put together an advanced class at Uh that still has a few slots open.

Matt

Yeah, that sounds good. The thing about this place is, everyone's out to get your money and I hate that. You go to a LDS and start asking questions about finding a dive buddy and all they sell is, "We do guided shore dives" yeah, no thanks, I've got my gear and free air I just need a buddy to dive with. Why would I pay to have someone lead me around, the information is out there, and I would much rather discover it and not be led around like a pack animal. you know what I'm saying, anybody?

Yeah, unless you're a tourist the shops around here seem to be less than helpful. We've found a few shops that seem ok for the most part. Breeze Hawaii on kaimuki gets a large share of our business as they are within walking distance of where we live, have decent prices, and are very willing to work with us and get us what we need. Surf and Sea up in Hale'Iwa also gets our business when we are up there because they are top notch people, don't badmouth the competition at all and are very willing to deal on prices.
As far as diving this weekend goes, it's looking a bit rough so I'm gonna skip out, but it you'd like to arrange something for next weekend that's cool. My friends and I will probably be diving with Dave Alberts out of the Oahu Dive Center. He's a divemaster there as well as a lab tech out at cocnut island so he's pretty familiar with a bunch of sites out here. If you're interested email me at coussens(at)hawaii.edu and I'll see what I can put together.

Matt

I don't know where on the island you live - but Hawaii Sea Adventures in Pearl City doesn't really cater to the tourists, as it is kind of "out of the way".

Once the surf on the North Shore is predictably flat, they do regular Friday night shore dives for anyone that wants to go. Personally I was never able to make it due to family stuff, but every Saturday morning when I went to pick up tanks, I would hear about how great the dives the night before were. I keep telling myself I'll have to rearrange my schedule to make it.

It's been my experience that the guys there are all very friendly and some are more than willing to dive with you, if your schedules work together.

chepar:
I don't know where on the island you live - but Hawaii Sea Adventures in Pearl City doesn't really cater to the tourists, as it is kind of "out of the way".

Once the surf on the North Shore is predictably flat, they do regular Friday night shore dives for anyone that wants to go. Personally I was never able to make it due to family stuff, but every Saturday morning when I went to pick up tanks, I would hear about how great the dives the night before were. I keep telling myself I'll have to rearrange my schedule to make it.

It's been my experience that the guys there are all very friendly and some are more than willing to dive with you, if your schedules work together.

Where is HSA's new location? They went out of business a month or so ago. Some friends bought some of their close-out gear. It may have been February when they closed the doors.

cediver:
Hello all,
I've been in Oahu here for about 2 months, been diving once off Magic Island. Wasn't the greatest, but I was wet and breathing underwater. I'm looking for a dive buddy that actually wants to dive. I'm a full time student, so I can go mostly through the week (mornings) and sometimes on the weekend (sat afternoon, or sunday). I own all my gear and basically just need a buddy to dive with. I live up around Whitmore Village/Wahiawa area and my number is 808-384-6576. If you're interested call or write and we'll see if we can get something worked out. Look forward to hearing from somebody, anybody that likes to dive.

Casey
Hey, I am up for shore diving anytime. I live on Hickam so driving to any part of the island isn't a problem for me. PM me and I will give you my number then we can set up a day and time (of course when the surf is down) to dive. My hubby works day shift so he only dives the weekends.

Melissa

As far as I know the Coral Reef Shop ended up buying HSA's compressor. Must be trying to set up a combo dive shop and pet store.

Matt

ch0ppersrule:
Where is HSA's new location? They went out of business a month or so ago. Some friends bought some of their close-out gear. It may have been February when they closed the doors.

What?!? Didn't know they had closed - I haven't stopped by since last October. I knew that Chuck had been talking for a while about closing/selling the shop, but that had been going on since early 2002 - so after a while I didn't take it so seriously.

Darn - now I need to figure out where to pick up my tanks. It was especially convenient, since I live right up the hill. Anyone got any ideas? All I can think of is the Dive Authority in Waikele - but never rented tanks out of there before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom