A different kind of Bonaire trip....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The East coast of Bonaire is virtually untouched, vary rarely ever dived and has adventurous opportunities for those that seek them. I'm not talking diving at the mouth of Lac Bay or in the Blue Hole, I'm typing about the East Coast. Look at this map:

Bonaire Island Map, view Bonaire's towns enlarged

Boka Spelonk, Boka Chikitu and all along that side. I dove with Larry at bonaire diving Welcome at Larry's Wild Side last week and asked him about doing such dives.

For us to call the shots we need a minimum of six divers and he'll take us where we want to go. Check out his website for FAQ's, his awesome boat and other information. He definitely has the boat to do this.

The conditions will most likely be rough, the surface intervals will not be calm, and someone will most likely spew their guts out more than once. However, Pelagics are highly possible, but more importantly the thrill of diving pristine reefs, some possibly never seen by humans awaits.

So this post is about finding atleast 5 other divers who want to go explore a part of Bonaire rarely seen and something 99% of others don't do.

The tentative agenda:

5 days of 2 tank a.m. boat dives with Larry.
Unlimited shore diving on the calmer side.

When? I'm cool with Jan/Feb/March or April.

If interested let me know...I'm just putting this out there to see if there is interest.

J

Rough seas, rockin surface intervals and biggest part of the boat green....sounds like a normal NC dive. :lotsalove:

Keep me posted, maybe I can get a kitchen pass.

We'll be there in march and would be up for something like this... we've got our accomodations set up and are planning on shore dives, but we were thinking about diving with Larry already. keep us posted!

Hi Jepuskar.

Having been to Bonaire and seeing first-hand how extraordinary the diving is, how friendly the people are and how beautiful the island is, this definitely sounds like something worth doing. Especially since this provides a diver with the opportunity to see a pristine side of Bonaire that most never would get to see. A few questions though, if I may...

1) Did Larry mention an additional cost to tailor these dives specificially for us?

2) What sort of experience level should someone have who is interested in doing these dives? A freshly certified diver might find these trips a bit overwhelming, I would imagine.

3) You are not looking for people to necessarily share rooms, nor share trucks, with I'm guessing? These other divers would be free to do their own thing while on the island?

4) You are looking for at least five other divers to do 5 total days of morning tank dives. You're not necessarily interested in having people sign up that only would like to do one or two days of these 'different' dives?

5) No snorkel would be needed on these trips either? I am hoping the answer to that is an immediate no.

Thanks very much for throwing this idea out there. Please do put me on your 'interested' list, and keep me posted on further developments.

C :popcorn:

interesting thread, thanks...

Ok,

I have received some information from others who have tried to do the same thing. More than one person has had issues with getting Larry to actually commit to the real East side. Others have had verbal agreements to only be changed once on the boat.

I am not willing to promote such a trip only to get down there and find out it cant happen. So I was pre-mature (not the first time) in this..its a nice thought but for now, this is a no go. :(

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom