A day of diving at BH, Feb 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday we packed up the truck and headed over to BH for the day. It is a 2 hour drive from our front door so we arrived at 8am ready to hit the water. We had not been over to BH since last Sept!

We were very surprised to see how far along the Dive Center is now. Last Sept it was still only steel beams and concrete floor. Now it is a real building!
Feb2009BlueHole_newdivecenter1.jpg

Feb2009BlueHole_newdivecenter2.jpg

Feb2009BlueHole_newdivecenter3.jpg

Feb2009BlueHole_newdivecenter4.jpg

There were actually even a couple of workers in there doing something all day Saturday! Rumor has it that the center opens July 4th weekend. Another rumor is that Stella is officially out of business in May when they are bringing in their own compressor and operator with tank fills at $10.

There weren't many people there on Saturday. Our old LDS from Colorado Springs was down with a group of HS students. UWC instructors Tom and Chris, two of our old buddies, were teaching OW, AOW, and Rescue. There was also another group down from CO and a few individuals but that was it. Very nice quiet weekend and no locals jumping, too. :D

The "permit guy" never showed up, I am guessing they showed up on Friday to collect $$ from UWC group and didn't bother on Saturday. Oh well. Stella wasn't there until noon and she didn't even open her shop since she knew that UWC has their own compressor. She asked us if we needed tanks or if she really had the day off... we told her to go home and relax. I don't know if she spoke to any others there.

One of the main reasons we went over to BH, other than just to dive was for me to try out a new drysuit. I got the drysuit over a year ago but since my hubby is an instructor, I haven't been able to dive with him at BH to really try it out and get used to it. Every time I have gone over with him lately he has had students who took all his time or BH was so crowded I didn't want to bother. So this was my first time with the new drysuit.
Feb2009Robin_drysuit2.jpg

Feb2009Rondrysuit.jpg

Feb2009UWC_instructorsChrisandTom2.jpg

me with my new suit, Ron getting into his drysuit, and our friends from UWC.

I did 3 dives in the new drysuit. Since I haven't used a drysuit in over 5 years (I used to borrow an UWC instructors spare that fit me) it was like starting all over again. Ron got me weighted on the first dive then we were off to the bottom. I must say the first dive was scary to me. The suit is neoprene and a bit bouyant. Adding air to it was okay and swimming around horizontal on the bottom was fine. But as soon as I started moving around looking up, etc. I didn't like the feeling. The air rolling around inside it was freaky. I don't remember the other drysuit acting like that but then it has been 5+ yrs. Dive 2 and 3 went better and I wasn't as nervous. Being vertical in a drysuit is downright painful and I don't like it. Plus I did get cold so I needed more thermal protection. I probably would have been fine if it had been sunny, but of course it was overcast and a bit windy. Surface intervals were okay as I was dry but I really didn't get warmed back up properly. All in all it was a successful trip.... I don't know if I am ready to dive in that drysuit in Calif yet, which is the goal. Maybe more practice is needed before I attempt saltwater and current.

robin:D

Wow! Lots of progress since I was there last Nov (Thanksgiving Weekend).

Robin - you look familiar. Were you on the UWC Cozumel Trip in Oct '07 with Kent? I think that's where I remember you from.

-Rick

Wow! Lots of progress since I was there last Nov (Thanksgiving Weekend).

Robin - you look familiar. Were you on the UWC Cozumel Trip in Oct '07 with Kent? I think that's where I remember you from.

-Rick

nope, we never did an UWC trip. You probably know us from BH, since it seems like we are there once a month, or at least we used to be! Either that or you know me from all our trip reports and videos.

:D

We were there in very late Nov 08 and that is all new since then. WOW!

$10 fills! Eeks! I will be bringing tanks I think! No Stella? What???

Robin, where did you hear that Stella is out? I spoke with her today and she had not heard that one. I'm just wondering because I would just be one of many pissed off former Blue hole patrons if that were the case. I am not saying it isn't a rumor, just want to know who started it. Thanks.

Robin, where did you hear that Stella is out? I spoke with her today and she had not heard that one. I'm just wondering because I would just be one of many pissed off former Blue hole patrons if that were the case. I am not saying it isn't a rumor, just want to know who started it. Thanks.

We were told the "rumors" I mentioned at our LDS when we picked up tanks on Friday. I said they were rumors because I can only take them with a grain of salt considering the source.
I agree that BH won't be the same without her. I wanted to chat with her on Saturday about the whole thing but since she was taking the day off I didn't want to hold her up. (Plus I had just put the tank on my back and had to get in the water or fall down). If she hasn't heard that rumor then in may not be true. :wink:

Another rumor I didn't mention was that there is a relative of the mayor (?) who is attending IDC right now and that he will be running the dive shop, doing the air fills, etc. That is the rumor anyhow. One of my reasons to let everyone know here about these rumors is to get all the dive shops calling to get information from the source. If there is enough outrage about losing Stella then they may rethink it. Maybe.....

Thank you for the response. I am glad that you did not take my question as some sort of accusation:) I really hope Santa Rosa doesn't screw their new place up, but we all know that they are quite capable of doing just that. On a different note, how was the viz?

Vis was okay. There were a few groups down on the bottom for whatever reason so some silting. I would say our first dive on Sat the vis was 80', then 50' by the second dive, and even less by the 3rd dive. Just hazy vis, not huge particulates floating in the water like it gets when there are locals climbing on the edges and jumping in.
Also, we noticed that the algae that had been growning just in one area is now spreading all over the bottom! :shakehead:

We did see quite a few crawfish, too! :D

$10 tank fills, no Stella, and the mayors relatives running the show! :shocked2:

Unfortunately that sounds about right. I'm not confirming this information, as I have no idea, but sounds like it very well maybe true. I'm already missing the way things were. The new building looks nice. Then again, I've never really needed a *building* to go diving at the Hole.

We have a trip planned in March,and I'm thinking another in May. That maybe the last of "The way it was" BH diving for me in 2009.....sigh... Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think it's at least going to be a LOT more expensive to dive there. Stella is friends with the Mayor, she watches his kids I believe. So I hope Stella will still be around, if not on staff.

Robin, you look very familiar. I'm sure I've seen you at the Hole, I guess I just did not realize it at the time. Your Husband is also familiar to me. I've been diving there for six years, so I guess it's no surprise I would have seen you both before.

They are making pretty good progress on the building. I base that on the Blue Hole road renovations that took two years..... :shocked2:

That drysuit stuff is definitely different, but much nicer during those cold, windy days this time of year!

As far as the rumors; I think you're right to take them with a grain of salt. I would suggest to us all that we don't start screaming until we are hurt. Don't think that whining now would do anything anyway!

I'm planning on going out this up coming Sunday, I'll talk to Stella and see if she's heard anything different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom