A Critical Error Leads To A Dicey Situation And An Education For This New Diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice shots Thankfully I don't eat fish so I'll never have sharks chasing me for appetizers or the main dish, I would have ditched those fish faster than a NY second though!

Thanks. On the bright side, I did have an excellent dive and shot well with no leash.

I will also point out, I'm conscious about the environment. If you notice in the video, I never touched the bottom. I tried to place my gun on the sand when possible and even the one time I dropped it on the rock I made sure there was little sessile life.

I'm into marine aquariums and realize how sensitive they are so I try my best to not leave a scar.

And if anyone is curious what species the shark was... bull.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
Two things that two great Instructors told me...

(1) There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old, bold divers - Trevor Meldrum NAUI 007, my "NAUI SCUBA Diver" Instructor, 1974. (He never claimed he said it first!)

(2) Experience is what you gain immediately after you needed it! - Stoo, NAUI 4783 (me!), for 25 years while teaching.

Excellent advice! I've heard the old bold, but not #2.

Testosterone has killed many men.

I frowned from this point on.

Well written account, however.

I understand. I think spearfishing complicates things to a degree for many divers and given the dangerous nature of powerful sharp shafts being present many would prefer not to be in the presence with other active hunters. Thus, you have many solo spearos.

However, I don't have first hand experience buddy spearfishing and I may find (since I'm going to buddy dive for now) that it's not as much of a concern as long as I'm with someone who practices safety first.

Thanks for the writeup James. I don't have one yet but from the ones I have seen in use I think a Nautilus Lifeline may be just the ticket. I have seen hunters use it to signal the boat for location/pickup.

Thanks for the writeup James. I don't have one yet but from the ones I have seen in use I think a Nautilus Lifeline may be just the ticket. I have seen hunters use it to signal the boat for location/pickup.

You're welcome. Indeed, another great option. I would love a PLB/VHF combo in one. Maybe one day we will have such an important life saving tool available to us. I chose the PLB over the Lifeline due to the Lifeline's short comings.

I definitely want to focus on the navigational skills though so I don't need the life saving gear. :)

Not a hunter, could never, so pardon my ignorance on it's solo prevalence. Not particularly a fan of it either, so my frown likely deepened upon that detail. Maybe freediving, but with scuba gear it seems like cheating.

I understand. Many people don't like the idea of harvesting their own protein despite the fact the protein they buy at the market was once alive. Someone else did the deed for them.

I really don't want to debate the topic of tanks and apnea on this thread as it's not the purpose. I would be glad to have a discussion in a different thread and I'm confident I may be able to change your mind.

Last edited:
I'm really glad you're taking what you've learned to heart. What I'm confused about is why you didn't let loose the stringer the moment you confirmed you had shark(s) too interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom