A couple of vintage diving pictures of me ice diving in 1978 Lake winnipesaukee, NH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been going thru a lot of old pictures both ours and my parents and came across these two that I long forgot about.

A young and healthy 28 year with 12 years of scuba diving experience and one other ice dive. The ice was 27" thick.
I was using a Poseidon rental regulator. The harness is a DIY the suit is a uni-suit. Note the snorkel, even under the ice!
I noticed it was on my right hand side, a carry over from the years of snorkeling. I long ago moved it to my left side and even use there when I'm snorkeling only. That was minimal diving!

Lake winnipesaukee_1972_1.jpgLake winnipesaukee_1972_2.jpg

Last edited:
In 1978 I was 3. Winters were for hockey and building snow forts. I hope I'm still diving in 30 years.

Cool picture. That's a nice lake with some neat wrecks also. I have a Spear fishing trophy from the 50's from a meet there. It's not mine of course. How was your dive?

I still wear my snorkel on the right. I was trained to look for air from the right.

Curious, who taught that? My modern PADI course taught snorkel on the left (I think, we all had them there). I've read a few early era skin diving books but never come across wearing it on a particular side. I find the origins of some ideas interesting. Another one is "all gauges on the left".

I was recently given a uni suit. Too small for me but I plan to make a display of it. That is one l o n g zipper!

Curious, who taught that? My modern PADI course taught snorkel on the left (I think, we all had them there). I've read a few early era skin diving books but never come across wearing it on a particular side. I find the origins of some ideas interesting. Another one is "all gauges on the left".

I was recently given a uni suit. Too small for me but I plan to make a display of it. That is one l o n g zipper!
Snorkeling was DIY for me so being right handed I did what felt natural. It did get in the way of the second stage after I started scuba, so one day I decided as awkward as it felt I would wear it on the left side; and that's were it is to this day.

The uni was a great suit, I dove the hell outa mine; dove it year round a few years. I'd like to put the exhaust valve on the chest of my current suit. I can't hardly reach it on the sleeve; it is the one thing about the new suits I really dislike.

The dive was a good one. I was the 1st of the second round of divers so the vis was good. We played upside down hockey on the underside of the ice. The bottom was rock and mud, a few fish not much to see hence the hockey game.

In 1978 I was 3. Winters were for hockey and building snow forts. I hope I'm still diving in 30 years.
In 1978 I was 32, and I am still diving 35 years later. So if you watch your health, and keep active and diving, you should be diving in 2043!

I enjoyed the photos of the ice diving too.

SeaRat

I'm freezing just looking at the pictures!

Back
Top Bottom