A couple Hero 3 questions, some advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The key is that only CineForm (be it the Free, Premium or Professional) are able to make use of the CAMRAW info change the white balance of the video while not 'changing' the video itself.

Just like a JPG vs RAW - the white balance can easily be adjusted with a RAW when you open them with PS, where as a JPG the colour profile is set.

Once you transcode from CineForm to AVI, MOV etc you are setting the WB info.

The reason it looks the same when you open it with different apps is that it's using the default WB and the Protune Log Curve.

Honestly this is the reason I asked them, as I find using CineForm an absolute pain and was hoping to bypass the step.

If you are using just Protune and no CAMRAW then there is little point using CineForm as you are right you just colour grade within your desired App.

Regards

Rich.

The key is that only CineForm (be it the Free, Premium or Professional) are able to make use of the CAMRAW info change the white balance of the video while not 'changing' the video itself.

Just like a JPG vs RAW - the white balance can easily be adjusted with a RAW when you open them with PS, where as a JPG the colour profile is set.

The reason it looks the same when you open it with different apps is that it's using the default WB and the Protune Log Curve.

Honestly this is the reason I asked them, as I find using CineForm an absolute pain and was hoping to bypass the step.

If you are using just Protune and no CAMRAW then there is little point using CineForm as you are right you just colour grade within your desired App.

Regards

Rich.
I can see what your saying. If you color adjust (2nd Step) a Cineform converted file (1st step) in Cineform, it applies instantly and quickly without any rendering and can be quickly removed via Cineform. Problem is Cineform is VERY limited on color adjustments especially since I use WB cards sometimes. I do my color correcting through Vegas Pro and I get the desired results. Much better than Cineform would provide.

---------- Post added August 12th, 2013 at 08:04 AM ----------

I use a PC. I have no idea how final cut pro handles gopro files.

On my pc, when I view the original camraw gopro files in cineform, adobe, and vlc media player, they all look the same.

I used to use cineform to convert DSLR files to uncompressed avi for easier editing on my 5 yr old PC. My current PC and adobe software has no problem editing raw gopro or DSLR files, so I totally skip cineform.

I have a pretty beefy PC though not the newest (6-Core 3.6 GHz, 16GB RAM, Win7 on SSD). When I try editing raw GoPro files on most software, the preview screen is what often becomes laggy. With RAW video , not much of a problem.
Though I haven't really tested this theory, I believe rendering a final in your editing app of a RAW file will be faster than a compressed file.

Regards

Rich.

I used to use cineform so I am familiar with the whole "non destructive" file/editing concept.

The real test is the end results and the time it took to get there.

Are the end results using cineform better or the same ? Does using cineform make your editing process faster or longer ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom