A battery question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This last trip I noticed a big difference in the 2000NiMH batteries compared to the 1800NiMH I had been using.

Now if someone one come out with a smart charger that holds 8 batteries and doesn't cost and arm and leg! I have two smart charger that I kept plugged in all the time..using 8, charging 8 and storing 8 in case of a problem. The rotation worked out with fresh batteries to go at any time.

Dee is giving you great advice. 2000 mA (I think there are 2200's avail. now), and get a rotation of them with at least one 4x smart charger. THe net is a great source and good $.

In the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, wa) a set of of duracell only lasted 30 min in 48 degree water.
My experience on land wasn't much different from this. I used regular batteries while waiting for the others to charge. Each set of batteries took me between 35-50 min to blow through (I used 3 sets in no time).

I currently have 2100's so I'm sure that there are 2200 by now. I have someone in China that will buy them for me and ship to me. I've had mine for about 6 months. Anyway... the manufacturer's recomend what they call an "I 10" charge. That means that they recomend you charge the cell for the 1/10th of it's rating per hour. Therefore 1800 MaH would be 180MaH for ten hours. The reality is that the recomended charge level is correct (180 MaH) but the batteries are not quite as good taking the charge as they are giving the charge. So that means I change them for 12 hours. OK so what is all this mean. I bought real cheap Radio Shack rechargers that charge at very low current and I use them overnight. They do not overheat and I have alway had enough juice for 3 dives. Just read the current rating of the charger.

Dee, I have found a way to charge 8 batteries at once. I brought the Maha Univeral Charger. I then went to radio shack and purchased a battary holder to hold eight AA batteries for about $2.00. The Maha charger allows you wire in the battery pack. I can charge all eight batteries in less than two hours. The cool thing is the Maha Charger also comes with a 12V adaptor which allows you to plug it into your car and charge them between dives. Works out great for my C5050. I am still waiting for my PT-015 which is on back order from Adorama.

Has anyone run across the 2500maH batteries (AA)? I saw a guy with some over the weekend and he said he brought them back from a trip to Japan.

Is that a Do-It-Yourself kind of thing? I'm no good at soldering wires and stuff! But if it's just a take apart and plug something in kind of thing...I can do that!

AquaGuy once bubbled...
I am still waiting for my PT-015 which is on back order from Adorama.

According to what i've read here and elsewhere you may be waiting a long time for it. The official Olympus site has changed its introduction into the US to Summer 2003 from spring 2003. Just FYI.
TedJ

Dee, it is a do it yourself thing. The Maha Universal Charger comes with a univeral wire plug that has two wires with alligator clips on the ends. You just purchase the plastic 8 battery pack holder from Radio shack and then attach the clips from the charger wire to the metal contacts on the battery holder. It's very easy. The cost for the charger is about $60. While you are at radio shack, you could purchase a multitude of different battery holders so you can charge numerious different sizes and quantities of battaries. For example, I use a different radio shack battery pack holder to charge the 8 C Cell batteries for my Light Cannon. It's a very flexible setup. I will take a picture of the setup tonight so you can see what I am talking about.

This is sounding very doable! Beast also has a Light Cannon we've been talking about getting rechargeable batteries for it but have hesitated buying yet another charger!

Yes, please take some photos if you can. That will help me understand things tremendously! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom