A battery question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitetip

Reaction score
The kit set-up comprises of a C5050z + PT015 . No strobe yet .

My question revolves around the rechargeables that came with the camera . A full 8 hour charge ( the charger isn't that sophisticated ) will certainly overcook them at some stage .

The plan for my forthcoming trip will be the usual 2 dive per day , perhaps 3 at a stretch . So , do I get a spare set of batteries including a smart charger - something in the region of UK £ 20-30
in Britain , or do I go the Duracell way , given that there are places where you can pick up a couple of AA's for one pound only . I think these can be used , please correct me if I'm wrong .

Any feed-back most welcome

Regards

Whitetip:D

http://www.scubaboard.com/t25914/s.html

There are some links within it .... For chargers and batteries

Me personally ..... get a quick charger (I have a Maha charger and I am pleased with its performance) and a couple of sets of NiMH 2000 mAh batteries.....Unless of course you have stock in Duracell :D :eek:

Absolutely get extra rechargeable batteries. I bought a smart charger with 8 batteries for less than $50. Used them for two weeks in Grand Cayman. They were 2000mA. I would use one set for two dives per day and then replace them with the ones that I just charged. Kept the Olympus charger and set of 1700s as a complete backup. Never used them. Alkaline batteries will be eaten up by the camera!

Thanks Finesse , message received and understood . I did follow the previous thread with regard to this , which is in fact what prompted my initial post .

My problem is expense ... some of these chargers are very expensive in Britain , and a 2000 not easy to find . I have seen a couple of 1700's which appear to be " smart " but , following the old adage that you get what you pay for , anything between 20 and 50 UK sterling does not much confidence inspire .

I should mention that the majority of these accessories are available through an emporium known to us on this side of the big pond as " Jessup's " a word that can often be used as an expletive for things banal , and / or lacking in both substance and knowledge .

Although I do not own stock in Duracell , the disposable route does appear to hold good value for money , as I fully intend to drain any rechargables I have on a first dive .

And Duracell do seem to last ... remember the rabbit ?

Dive safe

Whitetip,

Listen to what the people are saying. You'll have your recharger and batteries paid for within a year if you use your camera with any regularity.

Burning through the disposables isn't gonna do you any good in the long run.

AD

Go the NiMH route. You can get a Maha charger + 4 batteries for about 32GBP.
I personally use a Powerhaus charger with 2000mAh batteries. They will easily last you 2 dives with your viewfinder on all the time and the internal flash blasting away.
I've kept the CR3 that came with the camera as a backup.

Besides, who needs stinkin' alkaline batteries - think of how many you'll be throwing into the tip.....

....With ReyeR. The MAHA charger is fast and the 2000NiMH batteries easily handle 2 dives.

For all 5 dive days last week, I used two sets of batteries. One set in each the camera and the strobe with 2 more sets were being charged. Batteries were changed and recharged after 2 dives. The only problem I had is I apparently have one of a set that's gone bad, causing the camera to die after 30 min. into the first dive. They had been so reliable that I didn't carry any spares. So I did do two dives without the camera!

Be very wary of third world batteries. If you plan on buying them along the way be prepared to be disappointed... in general they are as good as they are heavy. (Weight is the criteria for purchasing them).

I just ordered 16 2000ma batteries from 7dayshop.com (they are in guernsey) 5.75ukp for 4 they also had some good deals on battery/charger combinations.

I ordered some of the hardcases for aa batteries at the same time, makes storing them easier. The stuff hasnt arrived yet, so I cannot comment on their service! (I only ordered it Thursday)

I already have a fast charger (from jessops) but it only does 4 at a time.

John

In the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, wa) a set of of duracell only lasted 30 min in 48 degree water.

My 2000 Nimh batteries last 2-3 dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom