9-1-08 Monterey Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Two dives on the shale. Lots of kiddies again.

Juvenile male Kelp Greenling
P9010009-01cropsm.jpg

Clown Dorid next to a little Limacia Cockerelli I think. Didn't see the little one till I looked at it just now to post it.
P9010002-01cropsm.jpg

A Dirona Albolineata
P9010020-01cropsm.jpg

A Tunicate
P9010023-01sm.jpg

Adolescent Vermillion Rockfish
P9010042-01cropsm.jpg

Adolescent Lingcod-first junior I've seen
P9010043-01sm.jpg

We see these periodically. Haven't been able to ID it. Maybe someone can help?
P9010027-01sm.jpg

Great pics, thanks for posting. Looks like some type of blenny. Maybe Dr. Bill can identify?

Thanks Paradicio and Diving Designs.

Hi Larry C,
This might be an island kelpfish.
Great pics.

That was my first thought when I took a picture of the last one I saw. Then I read the habitat and it didn't make sense. I don't think they get this far north and it was on shale, nowhere near kelp. I think my last one I decided was a Bluebanded Ronquil in the spotted color phase, but after reading further in Gotshall, they're pretty much identical to the Stripefin Ronquil, which appears farther north. So, given the depth, the blue stripe on the fins, the markings under the eye and the habitat, I'm going with Stripefin Ronquil. Given my usual level of accuracy, I'm probably wrong.

Thanks Ken.

Back
Top Bottom