800psi off...brand new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waaterpal

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a VT#, took it on a trip and it was 800psi off, which the divemaster noticed on the boat. Had to rent gauges after spending all that money on equipment...I returned it to the LDS who said they would send it in top be re-calibrated. But, I don't think I should spend 1.000 on a piece of equipment and then have to settle for a repaired one. I asked for a brand new one - is thaat unreasonable?

I just bought a VT#, took it on a trip and it was 800psi off, which the divemaster noticed on the boat. Had to rent gauges after spending all that money on equipment...I returned it to the LDS who said they would send it in top be re-calibrated. But, I don't think I should spend 1.000 on a piece of equipment and then have to settle for a repaired one. I asked for a brand new one - is thaat unreasonable?

no. :14:

Few comments: How did you determine that it was 800PSI "off"? Were you checking against more than one known-calibrated source? My understanding is that +- 500 PSI is an acceptable range for many standard gauges. If the "reference" gauge was 400 low, and you were 400 high, then you're going to see 800 PSI "off", but in reality be more accurate than the "reference".

Second, what pressures were you checking the instrument at? Low and of the scale, or high? For many gauges, the inherent inaccuracy is the worst near the extremes (low or high) of the range of measurement. It's probably more in-accurate measuring a nominal 500 PSI tank than a 3000 PSI tank.

Finally, IMHO, if it's something that is in-fact adjustable, then I wouldn't be against getting your existing instrument "fixed" -- it's likely to get some extra attention from someone who is trained in how they actually work (the repair guy) instead of someone who just assembles them. OTOH, if it was a bad component I'd probably want a new one

And if it really is 800 PSI off, then no, you should not have to spend one cent on the "repair".

Just curious, did you try this out before taking it on the trip, or was this it's first time out? Did the dealer hook it up in-store to verify it's operation?

Good luck!

Edit: I was mistaken, and +-500 is not a normal error range for SPG's! Sorry!

I have no idea were the above poster got the idea that 500psi+- is an acceptable range for a SPG.......just not the case!

Your LDS should replace the unit once they saw the inaccuracy right there on the spot and returned the malfunctioning unit for credit to the supply or replacement based on their agreement.

This is incorrect. Most standard gauges are accurate to within 2%, 60psi @3000psi in this case. Digital or not.

Thank you for the correction. I had "heard" this along the way somewhere. Noted!

Thanks for the input. No, the LDS did not check the calibration. I tried the unit out in the pool and it was registering numbers for pressure. Silly me (new diver & 1st equip buy). When I brought it back, the fellow DID check it and it was off. I think checking the calibration should be standard procedure before they let the unit leave the shop...Think I will stick to insisting on a new one. I bought my own equip so I could trust it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom