8+MP, Fast RAW storage, UW TTL capable housing available camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've currently got a Sea & Sea DX-3000 with slaved YS-25 strobe. If I nail a shot, the 3.2 MP is pretty good.

But lately I find that I want to play more with the pics, zooming in, cutting out areas, fixing bad lighting, etc. With only 3.2 MP and JPEG format (about 1.3 meg on disk) I am limited on what I can do back on the surface.

So I've been exploring options for a camera upgrade. I'm staying digital because I really like the ability to play "story time" back on the surface with a Notebook computer, but I want additional resolution for the ability to expand shots to larger sizes (eg zoom in on cleaner fish in baracuda mouth that bolted when I tried to move in a little closer).

My criteria at this point is:
1. At least 8MP.
2. RAW or some other lossless storage format (not JPEG).
3. Cycle time between high def RAW format shots that will keep up with an external strobe. Let's call this about 4 seconds but faster is better.
4. An underwater housing that allows TTL or comparable with an external strobe.
5. Both macro and at least 3x optical zoom with the same lense. (I might compromise on this one if other options made up for it.)
6. Less than $2000 for the complete setup. (maybe a little flexible, but not $5000 worth!!!)

To date I've investigated the Olympus c-8080 and Nikon Coolpix 8400/8700/8800, but both are slow writing high def RAW pics to the card. The reviews say they are pretty fast writing JPEGs, but RAW and TIFF shots take around 25 or 30 seconds.

Does anyone have suggestions on other cameras/housings/strobes fitting my criteria?

Thanks,
Banon

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/

This camera would do the job nicely and if I had wanted a (read larger) DSLR and pay the price, this camera would have been my choice. The only thing that might not fit your criteria is the housing. I don't think Canon make one, so you are left going over budget to get a decent housing. The advantages are however is that you a have a system that can change lenses and offers some of the highest quality glass you can get, if you so choose. On the surface I've used the 10D with the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM Wide Angle Zoom Lens. Its amazing what this lens can do. On the other side, you can also expand as your budget allows.

I think the closest you can get (5 out of 6) is the Olympus C8080 in an Ike housing. You will get hard-wired TTL with the DS-50 or DS-125. RAW write times are between 13-16 secs.

Other than that you will need to go the DSLR. Olympus will be releasing the EVOLT E-300 four-thirds DSLR in Dec with a housing planned for early next year.

Swarth:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/

This camera would do the job nicely and if I had wanted a (read larger) DSLR and pay the price, this camera would have been my choice. The only thing that might not fit your criteria is the housing. I don't think Canon make one, so you are left going over budget to get a decent housing. The advantages are however is that you a have a system that can change lenses and offers some of the highest quality glass you can get, if you so choose. On the surface I've used the 10D with the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM Wide Angle Zoom Lens. Its amazing what this lens can do. On the other side, you can also expand as your budget allows.

This camera looks VERY nice, but after all is said and done it's going to smash my budget. Looks like just the camera body and a lense will run around $2000, then over $1000 more for a housing and strobe.

Having said that, I think you're right that I may need to look at the SLRs for the features I would like. I may try to hold off for a year (that's going to take some will power!) and see if prices fall to better ranges as new products are introduced.

I appreciate your response. That definitely does look like a nice camera!

Banon

ReyeR:
I think the closest you can get (5 out of 6) is the Olympus C8080 in an Ike housing. You will get hard-wired TTL with the DS-50 or DS-125. RAW write times are between 13-16 secs.

Other than that you will need to go the DSLR. Olympus will be releasing the EVOLT E-300 four-thirds DSLR in Dec with a housing planned for early next year.

Thanks ReyeR. That EVOLT might fit my criteria and my timeline both. Good tip!

Banon

Most, if not all, DSLR's (as well as many 5-6 MP cameras) are capable of better photo's than the prosumer 8MP digicams. The camera makers are in the quest to equate MP to quality. ALLLL!!!! the current 8MP cams use the same chip which, while yielding a larger file size, generate a LOTTT! of noise (= grain). While you'll get a larger file size, the noise ,without a lot of software help, won't be of any benefit. If you're really in a quest for the greatest resolution, stick with film for now and pick up a scanner, but if your willing to take a hit in absolute resolution, for overall picture quality, pick up a D70 or D-rep in the same price range ! If you need more than this , buy a Canon 1Ds or Kodak Pro D/slr n or c !

onbelaydave:
Most, if not all, DSLR's (as well as many 5-6 MP cameras) are capable of better photo's than the prosumer 8MP digicams. The camera makers are in the quest to equate MP to quality. ALLLL!!!! the current 8MP cams use the same chip which, while yielding a larger file size, generate a LOTTT! of noise (= grain). While you'll get a larger file size, the noise ,without a lot of software help, won't be of any benefit. If you're really in a quest for the greatest resolution, stick with film for now and pick up a scanner, but if your willing to take a hit in absolute resolution, for overall picture quality, pick up a D70 or D-rep in the same price range ! If you need more than this , buy a Canon 1Ds or Kodak Pro D/slr n or c !

I laughed out loud when I read your post title. I probably don't need anything more than I have, but I sure do like to play with the toys! :)

Good info on the "same chip for all the cameras". I had no idea that was the case.

I'm relatively new to underwater photography (about 1.5 years now), and didn't do much photography at all before that. Reading the forums I can tell I have a lot to learn. So far I've been fairly successful with "get close and frame the shot". Reviewing my pics, I'd stack several of them against what I see posted on the net, and a couple of them against magazine shots, but I can tell the "technical" aspects could be improved in the vast majority of what I have.

And so I'm looking to spend more money on a new toy with lots of pretty new flashing lights and sparklies. :)

SLR is definitely the way to go- if you can afford it. Fantasea will have a sub $1000 housing coming out for the D70, complete with port. I would take the 6MP D70 over an 8MP camera any day.

Of the cameras you mentioned, I would look at the Coolpix 8400. The 24mm lens behind a domeport should be great. I can understand TIFF images taking 20 seconds but according to Imaging Resource, the 8400 does it in 9 seconds. There is also a burst mode that works in RAW.

You could also consider the Fuji Finepix F810. It's a 6MP camera that records 12MP images (see dpreview.com and a few users at digitaldiver.net). It maxed out their resolution charts and the camera can be had for about $450. Record time for RAW images is about 5 seconds. I'm not sure about TTL but at least you could use one of the Inon strobes. The housing is compatible with various lenses. Check with Yuzo as I think he sells all the lenses etc. Downsides are that the RAW converter Fuji supplies isn't very good. You would want to use another converter. Also it uses xD cards which are a little more expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom