8-15-08 Catalina Island Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are a few from our second day at Catalina. Vis was generally poor and it was somewhat surgy, so I didn't take too many pictures. I'm not real happy with them, but the dives were memorable, so here are some of what I took.

First dive Goat Harbor
We were promised Black Seabass on this dive, and boy did they come through. I'd never seen them, but heard that they come in Volkswagen size. Last year we were blanked, but one diver saw one at a distance. This year they said that as many as 15 were showing up on a dive. Vis was a cloudy 15 feet or so, and we were instructed that the bass are shy, but if you go where they are and hang out in the sand, they'll come to check you out. We were also told that if you chase them around with a strobe, they all run away. Followed the Captains instructions, dropped to a ridge at about 45 feet and kneeled on the bottom. After about 5 minutes, we started noticing big shadows moving in the distance. Soon, several of the Giants were making slow passes within 5 or 10 feet. Finally, one of the smaller ones came by to inspect and hovered next to me. Not wanting to startle it, I just filled my bcd a bit and hovered next to this gentle giant, at least a foot longer than myself and probably 3 times my weight. As it became more comfortable, I turned my camera slowly and snapped a shot from slightly behind. The big fella didn't seem to mind, so I took several more, closer and closer to its face, and moving my camera slightly around front. One of our divers swam overhead and was taking pictures of several huge ones moving around nearby. I motioned her to take a shot of myself and the bass. My gestures seem to have irritated it as it then swam off, though I think she got a shot of it swimming up, with my wife looking tiny in the background. Several photographers got wide shots of one or more bass but I didn't want to chase them away from my dive buddies, neither of whom had ever seen one, so I settled for these. Nonetheless, it was the highlight of the trip.
P8150056-01sm.jpg

P8150062-01sm.jpg

Second dive Eagle Reef
Another Treefish
P8150066-01sm.jpg

Another Blue Banded Goby
P8150071-01cropsm.jpg

Dive 3 Lobster Bay
Keyhole Limpet
P8150086-01sm.jpg

Horned Shark
P8150089-01cropsm.jpg

Featherduster Worm
P8150091-01cropsm.jpg

at least a foot longer than myself and probably 3 times my weight
Well maybe a foot longer anyway...LOL. Sorry Larry you opened yourself up for that. Anyway, rocking shot of that Bass. I think that would have been an awesome experience. Where exactly is that and how long are the bass expected to be there. I'll be in Cali end of September...might just try and dive.

Now that is a heck of a fish. I can see that being quite a thrill to see and dive with. Glad to hear they were slightly more timid so you could get photos. Thanks for sharing.

Well maybe a foot longer anyway...LOL. Sorry Larry you opened yourself up for that. Anyway, rocking shot of that Bass. I think that would have been an awesome experience. Where exactly is that and how long are the bass expected to be there. I'll be in Cali end of September...might just try and dive.

I'm not real familiar with Catalina, as we only go there a couple of times a year. As I recall, it's on the Ocean side of the Island, but it's an established dive site on the Island maps we had on board. I'm sure all the local charters know which coves to look in. Other than the bass, it's a pretty uninteresting site. We just hung out there for an hour or so waiting and joining the bass, but it was certainly worthwhile.

This was a LITTLE GUY, by the way. Many of his buddies were about twice the size. The Volkswagen comparison is pretty close.

Very cool pics, love the Hornshark and the Featherduster! Thanks for sharing Larry!

Fantastic Larry!! I am very jealous. They (black sea bass) are on my bucket list.
++Ken++

Thanks Steve, Gary, Paradicio, Ken.

Ken, if you can get a dayboat to Catalina, they're hanging out at Goat Harbor and Italian Gardens. They've been seeing 10-15 at a time for weeks.

Great shots. For "poor vis", you sure did good! When I was taking classes at the Catalina Marine Lab back at the 70's, my dream was to see a giant sea bass. Of course, they were nearly extinct at that time. It's great that their protected status has allowed them to make such a come back. The same thing has happened with Goliath grouper (a.k.a. jewfish) in Florida.

When I was in Catalina, just for a boat trip, I don't do cold water dives any longer, they had people there with a tank with seabass hatchlings that they were going to grow and transplant back into the ocean. They were saying that they have microchips in their heads now and when you catch them, you send the heads to (I can't remember the organization) and they track their migratory patterns and growth rate. So now we know why there are so many large bass again. Last Catalina dive for me was 15 years ago and saw nothing but kelp and garobaldy (sp?).

When I was in Catalina, just for a boat trip, I don't do cold water dives any longer, they had people there with a tank with seabass hatchlings that they were going to grow and transplant back into the ocean. They were saying that they have microchips in their heads now and when you catch them, you send the heads to (I can't remember the organization) and they track their migratory patterns and growth rate. So now we know why there are so many large bass again. Last Catalina dive for me was 15 years ago and saw nothing but kelp and garobaldy (sp?).

I'm hoping they don't get many. The GSB are protected and shouldn't be caught, and if they are should be released. They really are magnificent fish and its good to see them in such high numbers. I hope it continues. And on a good day you should see more than kelp and garibaldi.

Nice pix Larry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom