8-12 Maui pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
lobster.jpg

Now that's a great picture.

Jim,
Would you help me to understand how you set up a picture like this?

IE- what lens were you using… guessing wide angle?
Was this from a flash or just straight manual white balance?
Any thoughts about post processing, or the excitement of the hunt?

The color balance seems very even and the background being slightly out of focus is the result of a higher aperture setting (5.6-8.0)? I am guessing this a result of close up with the wide angle lens and keeping the subject sharp?

I ask this because your images are stunning and it would be interesting to understand your insight of making such an awesome image.

Thank you for your time and sharing incredible images.
Andrew

Crazyduck:
Jim,
Would you help me to understand how you set up a picture like this?

IE- what lens were you using… guessing wide angle?
Was this from a flash or just straight manual white balance?
Any thoughts about post processing, or the excitement of the hunt?

The color balance seems very even and the background being slightly out of focus is the result of a higher aperture setting (5.6-8.0)? I am guessing this a result of close up with the wide angle lens and keeping the subject sharp?

I ask this because your images are stunning and it would be interesting to understand your insight of making such an awesome image.

Thank you for your time and sharing incredible images.
Andrew

Thank you for the compliment.

The photo was shot at F5.0 1/160.

No additional lens was used. The camera was in the "Spot Macro" mode and zoomed in on the subject. Note that some cameras do not have a zoom feature in the macro mode and you have to move the camera to and from the subject.

This shot is an example of why I do not use the film system of the Inon strobe. That system requires a section of dark film to be placed over the cameras flash. It subdues the cameras flash and at the same time transmits the light via a fiber optic cable to the Inon strobe. While this system prevents the cameras strobe from interfering with the photo it also prevents you from being able to use the cameras strobe if you need to. I have found several small critters in holes and in coral branches that the Inon strobe, or any other, couldn't get to and that's what prompted me to come up with an alternative to the Inon film system.

This lobster was in a hole in the reef and there was no way I could get my external Inon strobe to light it up. I was able to get the camera housing close to the hole and use the cameras strobe to take the photo. I simply temporarily disconnected the fiber optic cable attached to my housing for the Inon strobe as the connection has a black section of wetsuit material on it to block the cameras flash.

As for white balance setting, I used "cloudy" on this shot as I have been doing on all my latter shots. The "cloudy" setting should give you the best color results underwater with both the internal and slave strobes. Camera models may vary so experiment with "sunny" and "cloudy" white balance settings for the best results. Don't use the "auto" setting.

I post processed this photo in PS7 by cropping it, adjusting the brightness and contrast and lastly the sharpness.

As for the excitement of the hunt I was circling a coral head and just happened to see something move inside the hole and it was this lobster. Pure luck.

WOW...beautiful!

So, it's been a few days since he's shaved, I see.

Beautiful, as always!

Jim,
Thank you for helping me understand the process that goes into these pictures.

I am still experimenting with manual settings and the manual white balance.
Lots to learn…

Thank you, Andrew

Gilligan:
Thank you for the compliment.

The photo was shot at F5.0 1/160.

No additional lens was used. The camera was in the "Spot Macro" mode and zoomed in on the subject. Note that some cameras do not have a zoom feature in the macro mode and you have to move the camera to and from the subject.

This shot is an example of why I do not use the film system of the Inon strobe. That system requires a section of dark film to be placed over the cameras flash. It subdues the cameras flash and at the same time transmits the light via a fiber optic cable to the Inon strobe. While this system prevents the cameras strobe from interfering with the photo it also prevents you from being able to use the cameras strobe if you need to. I have found several small critters in holes and in coral branches that the Inon strobe, or any other, couldn't get to and that's what prompted me to come up with an alternative to the Inon film system.

This lobster was in a hole in the reef and there was no way I could get my external Inon strobe to light it up. I was able to get the camera housing close to the hole and use the cameras strobe to take the photo. I simply temporarily disconnected the fiber optic cable attached to my housing for the Inon strobe as the connection has a black section of wetsuit material on it to block the cameras flash.

As for white balance setting, I used "cloudy" on this shot as I have been doing on all my latter shots. The "cloudy" setting should give you the best color results underwater with both the internal and slave strobes. Camera models may vary so experiment with "sunny" and "cloudy" white balance settings for the best results. Don't use the "auto" setting.

I post processed this photo in PS7 by cropping it, adjusting the brightness and contrast and lastly the sharpness.

As for the excitement of the hunt I was circling a coral head and just happened to see something move inside the hole and it was this lobster. Pure luck.

Back
Top Bottom