8.0 megapixels almost here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onbelaydave:
For the record the Fuji S2 and Nikon D100 "DO NOT !" use the same CCD, and TTL is not related to the CCD. TTL is determined by the measured reflectance off the "film" plane by a seperate sensor to trigger the flash shutoff. Fuji did the homework and came up with body that worked with standard TTL (Nikon dedicated) flash units. Nikon did not and forces you to upgrade even more of your equipment to keep up. Planned obsolences ?
for the record...

well then the site i read that on must have had it wrong i guess?

the site (i can't remember which one, it might have been dpreview) said they are one and the same and Fuji figured out how to measure the light off the film and Nikon couldn't or didn't want to.

isn't the S2 a nikon body?

ReyeR:
How on earth did he end up with an 18MB JPEG file from a 6MP camera?
the software that comes with the Sigma SD10 when converting RAW to TIFF, allows you to double the file size and increase the pixel count verticle and horizontal so the 8 bit TIFF is 36MB and the 16 bit TIFF is 75MB.

I guess this guys software does a similar thing

clive francis:
<<<the site (i can't remember which one, it might have been dpreview) said they are one and the same and Fuji figured out how to measure the light off the film and Nikon couldn't or didn't want to.

isn't the S2 a nikon body?

Both cameras are based on the old Nikon N80, but while both cameras share the same body, this is like saying that 2 cars using the same body MUST be identical. Not true, From the outside they look the same, but the interiors and engines can be light years apart !
Fuji's "engine" is their proprietary "Super CCD" with a hexagonal (or is that octaganal) layout to the photosites, whereas Nikon's is just a standard rectangular grid. Fuji claims that the layout allows for 12MB (interpolated) shots; most reviewers and owners (not me,I shoot film ) seem to agree it's more in line with an 8-9 MB chip.
The TTL function, as I said, doesn't depend on the CCD itself but on a seperate sensor mounted to monitor the light reflected off the focal plane and quench the flash when the electronics determine a proper exposure has taken place. Fuji came up with a way so that film photographers with a standard TTL flash could simply buy a new body and keep all the rest of their existing componants. Nikon's cameras require the additional purchase of a D-TTL or i-TTL flash to completely upgrade.

Gilligan:
Olympus is soon to release the C8080 and Nikon the Coolpix 8700. Both are 8 megapixel cameras.

A post on DigitalDiver discussed the possible downside of these cameras due to their chip size being inadequate resulting in too much "noise"

It will be interesting.

Its just a first look, without sample photos.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c8080.html

As far as noise levels, I would guess that the new camera will be about the same as the older ones, despite the higher pixel count. My calculations would indiciate that the pixel size should be about the same.
The 8080 uses a senor measuring 8.8x6.6 mm, whereas the 5050/5060 use sensors measuring 7.18x5.32 mm. The surface area is thus 1.52 times greater, ie 5x1.52 =7.6, so I would guess that the actual pixel size will be similar on the 5 and 8 meg model cameras.
See:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02100402sensorsizes.asp

BTW I also enjoy your site, thanks for posting so much information and giving full credit (such as to Dave Kusner) where its due.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom