8.0 megapixels almost here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Olympus is soon to release the C8080 and Nikon the Coolpix 8700. Both are 8 megapixel cameras.

A post on DigitalDiver discussed the possible downside of these cameras due to their chip size being inadequate resulting in too much "noise"

It will be interesting.

Gilligan: Man, that will be awesome.

Also, I should note, I love your site.

Gilligan:
Olympus is soon to release the C8080 and Nikon the Coolpix 8700. Both are 8 megapixel cameras.

A post on DigitalDiver discussed the possible downside of these cameras due to their chip size being inadequate resulting in too much "noise"

It will be interesting.

8 meg is about selling cameras, not about getting quality images. I'm certain it will be an appreciable increase in noise - like we saw jamming 5.2 onto the same chip that once quietly held 4 meg.

K

H2Andy

20.gif

gilligan, motivation is right, the marketing deptarments need to let the engineers do a quality job then competing in the MP war. Personally i dont think that a 8080 is going to appear and if it does it will have the same problems the sony 828 is having(noise, and CA) because of to many pixels on a sensor, even putting 6 mp on the c5050's chip will increase the noise to untolerable levels at iso 200, tests have already revealed that the less denisty of pixels makes a image much cleaner(IE larger sensor). if oly is going to continue to use the same body they may have to raise the min apeture of what the 5060 is or higher for future models.

from what i read and think i think that 6 mp will be the max for consumers at the current size of sensors, and 6+ mp will be the realm of the pro cameras for optimization of cameras size (body/lens) and to keep noise in check.

FWIW

Tooth

I've bought from them before, not cameras mind you. Should be interesting if they actually will have product to ship.

I know a number of folks who have bought from them as well.

IMHO, the comments about the Sony 8MP camera are going to be echoed with both this new Nikon and Olympus as they use the same sensor chip. But we are clearly going to see more posters being produced!!!
TedJ

Back
Top Bottom