7MM: W1 vs. W2 vs. W4 ? ? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtchurch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm shopping for a new wetsuit for cooler Great Lakes diving. The new W4 is out. Some shops are closing out on the W2 and there are even a few W1 suits to be found (such as on the Water Proof Closeout website).

What I would like to know is, aside from aesthetics, what are the practical differences between these models?

Can we assume that the W2 made improvements over the W1 and the W4 has addressed any issues with the W2 and is now the most evolved 7mm wetsuit from Water Proof? With a little hunting, there are some great deals to be found on the W1 and W2, but I hesitate to buy something (even if a good deal) that had serious design flaws improved in a later model.

I own a number of Waterproofs.....

The W1 is a front zip suit vs the W2 being back zip. Features are very similar except for that.

The W4 is again similar to the W2 but with styling differences and it has the exterior pocket attaching point.

....there have been some interior texture changes, HexTex or Plush, and for me it's a toss up which is better.

if you find a deal on the W2 that's the thickness you want and your size I suggest you go for it.

The W1 is less popular because it is a pain to get off... Enjoy !

Just go with a drysuit and get it over with. Especially if you're diving Lake Michigan.

If you're doing local diving up there don't even bother with a wetsuit, go straight to drysuit, and get a cheap wetsuit from a diveshop clearing out the rental racks as a last minute backup.

Thanks Islandheart! That's some good info! Can you elaborate on the difficulty of getting the front-zip W1 off?

Do the actual mfg ever come around here and answer questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also from Michigan. I picked up a w4 last spring. I couldn't find my size in a w2, I wanted to buy from a lds for fit, and with the trade in promotion there was not much difference.

I am very happy with the W4.

Jt-

I think IslandHeart covered it pretty well...I'm right across the water from you in Wisconsin..and my experiance is as follows...

Semi dry vs DS..I have both..and I LOVE my semi dry..its a SP Nova Scotia 6.5mm...and it FITS perfectly..which is WHY I love it...cause it works great down to 45 degrees...for about 30-40 minutes. If your only gonna do a single shorter dive..and your semi dry FITS..it'll do the job imo...

That being said...you wanna dive the GL's...bite the bullet...go dry. I'm warmer, can do repetitive dives and am far less concerned regarding DCS and hypothermia... Call DRIS...and talk to Mike..I'll bet he has something that he can get you in that won't break your bank.

Bubs

@mth Thanks for the reply. Is that a 7mm W4? How have you found it for warmth in the GL?

@1bubble Thanks for the info. I will probably go dry at some point -but as I'm just getting into diving I feel like I'd be skipping some of the experience not to try it wet for a while. I only plan to dive the GL region in the Summer, probably travel somewhere nicer to dive the rest of the year. Even so, I'm thinking I might try the W1/2/4 in 7mm with the WP 5mm Overvest w/hood which will give me 12/7mm. Hopefully the Overvest alone will also work in warmer water without being too warm -I tend to run on the cool side anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom