7/8mm wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also interested in knowing what folks who have dove in these wetsuits think of them. Are they warm enough for NorCal waters?

Regards,
Michael

Go try it on. I tried one on and nearly killed myself getting out of it. These are what are considered semi-dry. Much tighter fit and as a result less water flowing through it. But because of that, again, almost died...

Go try it on. I tried one on and nearly killed myself getting out of it. These are what are considered semi-dry. Much tighter fit and as a result less water flowing through it. But because of that, again, almost died...

How do you nearly kill yourself getting out of a wetsuit? Seriously...

I have one and generally like it, but here is my 2cents.

1) It is NOT a semi-dry suit. It has nice seals at the wrist and ankles which reduce water flow for added warmth which is nice, but does not seal as tight as a good semi-dry. It is not as expensive either. It is a tweener, but I guess this can be said to some extent of most semi-drys also.

2) Properly sized, it is very easy to get in and out of. This is due to the stretchy material. There are 2 downsides to the material, it is not as tough to abuse (can blemish the outer skin) and it compresses at depth. I.E. It is a very warm suit in modest depths, you approach 100' and it gets cool fast relative to stiffer neoprene.

3) The integrated hood is a big plus, no asking your buddy to tuck in the hood. Simple to don/doff or 1/2 peel down for a SI. Great for solo dives.

My conclusion was the SolAfx was nearly as buoyant as a FJ_J and slightly cooler at depth. Despite this, it is faster to don/doff and more comfortable for all-day wearing on a boat. I love it for So Cal diving, Nor Cal is might not be enough suit long term.

I found this suit for sale on Leisure Pro's site and the people who reviewed it like it. They do say it might not be as durable as it could be, though, which is what you've said GrumpyOldGuy.

Regards,
Michael

The lesson I learned when I tried on my first wetsuit was to always wear a pair of jammers and a rash guard. Makes getting the suit on and off much easier!

Regards,
Michael

OMG Dracunos I had a similar experience trying on a semi-dry. The young sales guy was very kind in suggesting I try the L womens suit. Of course there was no air in the dressing room. About a half hour later I got my legs into the thing and when the crotch was mid thigh I stopped sat down took a rest and proceeded to get my legs out. Take two, XL! the crotch made it a little higher, but still no go. I almost gave up at this point! That's when the young sales guy suggested I use the full rash guard suit! XXL slipped right in pulled the hood over! I almost got stuck though because the hood takes some practice to over your face without ripping your nose off in the process! I have been stuck midway a couple of times, but thankfully never to the point of passing out.

BTW I love my semi-dry! I do find it to be a bit more buoyant than other suits. I am told it will lessen as I dive with it more and break it in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom