7/21 purple urchin dive report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We (PURP) did another purple urchin collection dive today at Stillwater Cove.
The wind came up. It was already a little choppy in the morning. As the day went on it got worse.
That didn’t stop us. I worked the right side in the bowl, which was a washing machine today, surge city, but I did fill three bags.
One dive for me with a 120.
The water is cold again with the winds up, 49 degrees. Cold Alaskan water comes up from the depths.
We had 6 divers today for a total of 751 lbs.
We did it! We got 10,000 since 9/17/23.
Here are some pics of the day:
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
IMG_3739.jpeg
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
IMG_3749.jpeg

Sounds like another successful day in the PURP program. How did the kelp look this time? Are you seeing signs of recovery?
🐸
We’re seeing a lot more stuff growing at the weedline off the beach. Lot’s of long ribbon kelp, some feather boa kelp, a whole variety of sea lettuces, some eel grass, but no bull kelp yet in close. However, there is a few bull kelps starting to grow out in the middle of the cove in 10’ - 15’ of water.
We need to continue patrolling around any kelp that starts to maintain the margin around them.
We’re planning to be out there every week now to get as many cleared as we can before they spawn in Nov - Jan.

Back
Top Bottom