7/21 Monterey Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here's what I saved from my disastrous day. Only had two from Chase reef and not special. These are all from Shale Island off Del Monte Beach.

First tries at Wide Angle Photography

P7210020-01sm.jpg

P7210003-01pssm.jpg

P7210011-01sm.jpg

Hermits

P7210059-01cropsm.jpg

Nudie

P7210036-01sm.jpg

Pigmy poacher?

P7210044-01cropsm.jpg

Very nice Larry. Wide-angle photography is sooo difficult, especially in CA waters. You did a terrific job. I really like the calico rockfish under the ledge with the nice field of corynactis. Sometime when you find a nice Telia anomone (like in #3 although that might be a sand rose) get really close to it and shoot it as straight up as you can get, hopefully with the sun in the frame. Makes a nice shot, particularly if you find one with that blood-red shaft.

Thanks Ken, Dryglove and MontereyCA. And thanks, Ken, for the advice. I love the big Anemones, but after the first thousand or so, you run out of ways to shoot them. Doing the Vision in the Channel Islands in a couple of weeks. Any advice on shooting there? I think we're doing San Clemente, Catalina and maybe Anacapa.

Larry C:
Thanks Ken, Dryglove and MontereyCA. And thanks, Ken, for the advice. I love the big Anemones, but after the first thousand or so, you run out of ways to shoot them. Doing the Vision in the Channel Islands in a couple of weeks. Any advice on shooting there? I think we're doing San Clemente, Catalina and maybe Anacapa.

You will love the Vision, great boat, biggest and best of the Truth Aquatics boats. San Clemente, Catalina, Anacapa, wow the possibilities are endless. Great wideangle kelp opportunities at San Clemente and Catalina (Ship Rock is one of the best kelp forest opportunities in the CI). If you get to Farnsworth (back side of Catalina) look for purple hydrocoral, large fields of it. Also you will have a good chance to see big Black Sea Bass, particularly if they go to a place at Catalina called Italian Gardens. I think the crew will warn you about that so you will be ready. Don't take your 105mm macro setup down for that one :D. I have probably made more dives at Anacapa than at all the other seven combined. It's close for me (I live close to Ventura Marina and the ride from there to Anacapa is only about 11 miles). Anacapa....it's got everything. Great underwater arch at the east end in the Landing Cove; large sea lion colony on the south side, east end; fields of sarcastic fringeheads in used shells near Cat Rock (straight out to the south in about 50-70fsw); one of my favorite dives in the world, Coral Reef, which is on the south side near the west end, everything there, look for simnias on the red gorgonians, GREAT macro subject but most people don't know they are there because they are so small - I will post a photo; the extreme west end is a spectacular but very advanced dive (deep, currents) with lush kelp and very colorful invertebrate life anemones, fans; rounding the west end towards the north side you come to Goldfish Bowl which has good kelp forest opportunities and also good macro - look for angel sharks in the sand. Also a possibility for black sea bass in the kelp but not as reliable as Italian Gardens. Whew, I'm tired. You can't miss with those three islands (and the Vision) they have EVERYTHING. Have a great time,

++Ken++

Here's a simnia:

Simnia.jpg

Larry more on simnias

If you get to Coral Reef at Anacapa you are almost guaranteed to see them because there are so many there, but they can be found on any red gorgonian anywhere in the Channel Islands. Find a red gorgonian and examine the arms very carefully. Simnias look like slightly purplish bumps on the reddish arms. In natural light they seem to be slightly purple compared to the red arms of the gorgonian. Once you find one you will never forget it. They are extremely small, the biggest one I have ever seen is less than a half inch long. They make GREAT subjects, beautiful and they don't move :). Best lens is 105mm. The one I posted above is laying eggs on the gorgonian.

Here are two in the process of making more simnias:

2Simnias.jpg

gasp.
colors...wow, I never even ever saw those. (simnias)
Larry you can show us the ropes in 08 if we come to the language school!
Nice shots...how deep, did you say?

Ken, those are so cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom