7/10 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kapula:
Do you use tide charts when planning your dives or are those currents weak enough to just go diving (with the exception of full moon ofcourse)? I've mostly dived in Thailand and there you can run into some pretty harsh currents every now and then. Well you propably could use kayak as a surface marker then and just attach yourself to it with a rope. Does sound like trouble though. How much practise does getting on and off kayak require? I've been paddling quite a few times and those "real" kayaks are quite hard to get on from water.

I have a tide calendar but I only use it to check the full moon and the size of the tidal changes. The tidal changes here are only a few feet one way or the other. I dive at the same time every morning, about 8:30am. It is more important to be off the water before 11am than concern over currents. The Trade Winds usually come up after 11am and you don't want to get caught in those with a kayak.

None of the locations I dive, with the exception of the Carthaginian wreck, have current enough to be of a concern.

I have markers on my kayak anchor line so it is always within eyesight of me. If I drift to a new spot I take the kayak with me.

Getting in and out of the sit-on-top type kayaks is easy with your fins on.

Back
Top Bottom