7/10 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
title.gif

Reef
1.jpg

Speckled Scorpionfish
(Not sure on the ID as it could be a Decoy Scorpionfish. Confirmation pending)
2.jpg

Oh, he's cute! But not cuddly, though, I'm sure.

How far out do you normally take your kayak out to see the really nice stuff i.e. dolphins, turtles etc??? Do you dive solo??

He's cute. Looks kind of like one of the characters on a TV show called "Dinosours" a few years back. (Stegosauras, I think)

Is that your F1? My second favorite truck! I almost bought one. Here's mine

Truckpicks001.jpg

robbcayman:
How far out do you normally take your kayak out to see the really nice stuff i.e. dolphins, turtles etc??? Do you dive solo??

Yes, I solo dive most of the time. I prefer it with a camera.

Turtles are usually in 30 to 40 feet which is closer to shore. That's also where all the tourist boats are so I don't go there.

Dolphins are an unexpected treat and can be anywhere.

Most of my dives are 60 to 75 feet. 70 feet is about 1/2 mile off-shore.

Larry C:
Is that your F1?

:D No, that's not my truck just a cartoon. I have a 2004 Ranger with racks.

Nice truck you have there.

Nice pics as usual! So you carry some sort of depth metering devise (sonar etc)? Or do you just use your anchor line to measure the depth? What about currents? Are they just mild over there or do you just know go down on the anchor line to check it out and switch place if it's too heavy in the bottom?

Kayak diving sounds really nice and I'd definitely do that if I ever get to live near such waters.

kapula:
Nice pics as usual! So you carry some sort of depth metering devise (sonar etc)? Or do you just use your anchor line to measure the depth? What about currents? Are they just mild over there or do you just know go down on the anchor line to check it out and switch place if it's too heavy in the bottom?

Kayak diving sounds really nice and I'd definitely do that if I ever get to live near such waters.

I carry a hand-held sonar like this one (link) . The currents are not very strong in most of the areas that I dive.

I also carry a small Garmin Gecko 101 GPS (link) for my favorite sites and for marking new ones.

The one spot where the Carthaginian II wreck is has some very strong currents and I avoid that spot when there is a full moon as that is when the current is usually the strongest.

Do you use tide charts when planning your dives or are those currents weak enough to just go diving (with the exception of full moon ofcourse)? I've mostly dived in Thailand and there you can run into some pretty harsh currents every now and then. Well you propably could use kayak as a surface marker then and just attach yourself to it with a rope. Does sound like trouble though. How much practise does getting on and off kayak require? I've been paddling quite a few times and those "real" kayaks are quite hard to get on from water.

Gilligan:
Yes, I solo dive most of the time. I prefer it with a camera.

Turtles are usually in 30 to 40 feet which is closer to shore. That's also where all the tourist boats are so I don't go there.

Dolphins are an unexpected treat and can be anywhere.

Most of my dives are 60 to 75 feet. 70 feet is about 1/2 mile off-shore.

Wow, now it makes sense why you only need a kayak. Going out half a mile isn't too bad. However, I personally would worry about my safety i.e. diving solo. Dive safe and keep those awesome pics coming. :D

Back
Top Bottom