6 Weeks Oct/Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barry123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be visiting the Philippines for 6 weeks starting around Oct 20. I have worked out where I am going just not how long I should spend at each place. So what I am looking for is there any place I do not have on the list that should be on and how many days should I visit each place for?

Subic Bay
Anilao
Puerto Galera
Borocay
Malapascua
Dumaguete
Coron

I have dived at Sipadan and Mabul, how would compare them to the diving in the Philippines as I am thinking about going back there for a week. This way I will not have to get a visa or an extension as I would stay in the Philippines for 2 periods of less than 21 days.

Hi Barry.

Other places to consider are Pandan Island and Apo Reef, Panglao, Moalboal, Padre Burgos, Davao (go at weekends, trips are not guarenteed to happen during the week), and General Santos. The diving at Boracay is not reputed to be so good. What sort of diving do you want to do, and what do you want to see?

Hi Barry,
Your selection is pretty good. As Pretty Mouth had suggested there are more BUT you have to decide if they can all fit into your 6 weeks itinerary. You can extend your visa in the country so there is no need to go to Sipadan to "avoid" the paper work.
How to allocate your diving time among those places is your PROBLEM. We all have different ideas!! You have selected THREE areas in the country, how to plan you trip without any un-necessary back trekking is more important. Coron is the most isolated so I would go there FIRST. However, I am NOT sure if you can fly from Coron to anywhere other than Manila. But I could be wrong though. So more research for you on domestic flight.
1. Manila - Coron
2. Coron - Manila - Anilao
3. Anilao - Puerto Galera( Mindoro)
4. Puerto Galera - Boracay. There is a ferry from Roxa in Mindoro directly to Boracay.
5. Boracay(Caticlan/Kalibo) - Cebu. If you are felling adventurous then take the bus from Caticlan to Iloilo, ferry to Bacolod and bus to Dumaguete. Please enquie if the bus to Dumaguete stopping at Sipalay(more diving).
6. Dumaguete - Moalboal
7. Moalboal - Cebu(visa extention) - Malapascua
8. Malapascua - Cebu( visa extention) - Clark(for Subic)
9. Subic - Manila
If you fly into Cebu from Boracay then take a fast ferry to Dumaguete and return to Cebu via Moalboal or if time is tight go directly to Malapascua. Don't forget to extend your visa in Cebu.
Both Southern Leyte(Padres Bugos) and Gen San are under-rated but travelling there will consume more time. Apo Reef is even more tricky to get.

thanks for the reply.

Looking at places to visit Apo Reef in Nov is not a good time to visit due to weather. The rest I am still flipping the coin as to where to go. I may go to Devao as I think that there should be a flight going between Davao and Manado Indonesia, Midsea express has not confirmed the dates but I am sure this will happen soon. This would give me a change to see what that part of Indonesia is like as I have dived in other parts and liveaboard is planned for next spring to Komodo.

As for what I am looking for, I like drift dives, wrecks, lots of fish and coral and taking photo's.

What I would like to know is how many days would you stay at any place.

The flight between Davao and Manado had been on and off over last 10 yrs. Grab it while you can.
Rags two has a schedule trip(Nov 3 -10) from Cebu to Puerto Galera via Malapascua, Tablas Island and Maestre de Campo(MV Mactan Ferry). Have a look at its web site.
Coron, Maestre de Campo, Malapascua and Subic all have plenty of interesting wrecks to explore.
There is a 70m deep wreck outside Davao as well. If you are happen to be in Davao then you should make a short trip to General Santos to dive the Tinoto Wall(south point diver).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom