6 Teens from 2 Families Drown in LA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upstate Scuba OWI

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Tragedy on a La. River: 6 Teens from 2 Families Drown

Posted: Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Updated: August 4th, 2010 03:05 AM GMT-05:00

icon_most_read.gif
Most Read
icon_most_emailed.gif
Most E-mailed
icon_mail.gif
E-mail Article
icon_print.gif
Print Article 0diggsdigg

By JAMIE STENGLE
Associated Press Writer

SHREVEPORT, La. --
DeKendrix Warner was splashing around in the waist-high waters of the Red River with his cousins and friends, trying to escape the oppressive Louisiana heat, when he stepped off a slippery ledge - and was plunged into water 25-feet deep.
As the 15-year-old kicked and flailed, one cousin rushed to help - and found himself plummeting down the severe drop-off. Then another.
In all, six teenagers tried to save DeKendrix - and each other - but none of them could swim. Their relatives, who can't swim either, looked on helplessly as the teens screamed out for help. Six vanished and drowned Monday; DeKendrix was rescued by a bystander.
"I stepped and I started drowning," the boy told The Associated Press Tuesday, speaking in a low voice outside his inner-city Shreveport home, a one-story white clapboard structure with peeling green trim and an unkempt yard.
It had started out as a typical summer family get-together - a large group of relatives and friends, including about 20 children, gathered on a sandy shore near the river's bank for an afternoon of swimming and barbecue.
They didn't even have time to set up the grill before tragedy struck.
"It's hard when you can't save your kids," said Maude Warner, whose 13-year-old daughter Takeitha and sons 14-year-old JaMarcus and 17-year-old JaTavious were among those who drowned.
"It's hard when you just see your kids drowning and you can't save them," she told KTBS TV.
The other victims were three brothers: 18-year-old Litrelle Stewart, 17-year-old LaDairus and 15-year-old Latevin.
The area where the drownings occurred is near a public park, but it's not a designated recreational or swimming area and there are no lifeguards on duty. The spot is often frequented by swimmers and fishermen, who must walk through woods along a path to reach the river. The city had just dug a trench to limit access to it.
"The river is a dangerous place. It's no place to even put your foot in if you don't know how to swim," said Shreveport Fire Chief Brian Crawford.
There was only one life jacket nearby and it was thrown to the victims, but none of them could reach it.
The tragedy highlights an unsettling statistic among African-Americans like the teens who died: 69 percent of black children have little or no swimming ability, compared to 41.8 percent of white children, according to a study released last spring by the sports governing body USA Swimming.
And African-Americans drown at a rate 20 percent higher than whites, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
For decades, segregation limited the access of black people to public and private pools and the disparity continues because many poor and working class children still have limited access to pools or instruction.
Monday's tragedy "confirms what we are finding - this continuing cycle of people not knowing how to swim and their children not knowing how to swim and still being around water," said Sue Anderson, USA Swimming's Director of Programs and Services.
Parental fear and lack of parental encouragement were the top two reasons children and parents gave for not swimming, Anderson said, adding that fear trumped any financial limitations in the study.
"Adults seem to pass their fear of water onto their children," she said. "There seems to be a culture that says, 'Its a scary environment don't go there.'"
Marilyn Robinson, a friend of the families, was among the adults who watched helplessly Monday as the victims went under.
"None of us could swim," Robinson told The Shreveport Times. "They were yelling 'Help me, help me! Somebody please help me!' It was nothing I could do but watch them drown one by one."
Taiwon Simpson, a friend of the victims, also could do nothing as the tragedy unfolded. "The wave pushed them back that way. They hollered for help and they started going down," he told AP Television News.
About 30 feet away, 22-year-old Christopher Patlan was hanging out with his friends when he heard screams and ran toward the river. By then, all of the teens were struggling, he said. He jumped in and ended up closest to DeKendrix.
"Everything happened so fast. It was like a wreck," said Patlan, who is white and Hispanic and took swimming lessons as a youngster. By the time he dragged DeKendrix to safety, the rest of the teens had vanished.
The teen pleaded with Patlan "to go help my cousin," as he was being saved, but it was too late.
Korey Prest said he tried in vain to save another victim. "He slipped out of my hands. I couldn't feel him no more," he said.
After a more than two-hour search, divers discovered the teens' bodies at nightfall, in a muddy 30-foot-deep section of the river about 20 feet from where they disappeared. The murky water hindered the divers, who sectioned off sections of the river as they meticulously searched the bottom.
At their Shreveport neighborhood on Tuesday, family and friends gathered to offer condolences, hugging one another and holding an impromptu prayer vigil.
"These are some of the greatest kids in the world," said the Rev. Emmitt Welch, who knew all the victims in his work as a Baptist youth minister. "I mean when you think about the ideal children, these kids are wonderful."
Nearby, DeKendrix leaned against a pole, the lone survivor plucking nervously at his purple T-shirt, and sighed.
___
Associated Press writer Lisa Orkin Emmanuel in Miami contributed to this report.

logo_ap.gif
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I may piss some people off here but too bad. 6 years ago I participated in the rescue of a 10 yr old boy from the bottom of a public swimming pool. The lifeguard brought him up and another LG, a paramedic, and myself started to work on him. I will never forget the sound that came from his mouth or the utterly blank look in his eyes which were wide open. Even more disturbing was that his parents were not near the pool. They were at a pavilion a few hundred feet away. Like this case had they been there the outcome would have been the same had it not been for a bystander (in this case the lifeguard) as neither of the parents nor most of the relatives also attending the picnic could swim. At that moment I began to recall and now see at every public pool the same thing. Kids hanging onto the side in the deep end white knuckled, eyes wide, yet laughing. Not knowing how close to death they are. And all because they do not know how to swim. And parents watching this take place. Those parents to me are guilty of child abuse and neglect.

Allowing anyone to go near the water without knowing how to swim borders on criminal. The stereotype that is coming from some quarters regarding this incident and the kids being black is bullshiite. As is the poor angle. There is no excuse in this day and age with Y's, public pool programs, and other resources for a kid not to know how to swim if there is water nearby. It is a parents obligation to see that their kids know how to swim if they are going to allow them to be near water. If they choose not to then they should prepare for this type of occurrence.

Jim,
I'll probably irritate some folks too. Jim I agree with you about not learning to swim but the resources we assume are there may not be as available as we think. I was talking to a friend of mine at work about two weeks ago and was mentioning that there had not been a drowning tragedy in Louisiana yet this summer and then this happened. I was born and raised in New Orleans and it seems that every year some unfortunate black family looses multiple family members. LC is black and he said that the reason they don't learn to swim is that most city pools are in white areas of town where they don't feel welcomed. I would hope this is not true but he assures me it is so. You are also correct about rich or poor, it does not matter. I remember about 15 years ago when a big time football player, who couldn't swim, waded into deep water, saved a child and then he drowned. In almost all cases they were within reach of shore or someone on shore throwing them something. In all cases it usually starts with one person falling in and others leaping to the rescue. The fear of drowning over rides the love of family and they always jump in and try to save a loved one. That is courage. I keep these families in my prayers.

There are plenty of pools in there neighborhoods; moreover, humans have been swimming long before the invention of the swimming pool. A parent that doesn't teach their child to swim ought to be ashamed of themselves. It is a basic survival skill, especially with all the water here in the area. I safely take children into the Red all the time. It wasn't the river that took these poor children that day it was the parents lackadaisical attitude toward a simple skill. I hope these children rest in peace and I prey their neighbors learn to swim.

I don't doubt there are economic/social reasons why it might be harder for some people/families to learn to swim than others. That's beside the point. If you don't know how to swim (for whatever reasons), stay away from water. If you're a parent, don't let your non-swimming children anywhere near water. This tragedy stems more from parental negligence than social disadvantage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom