6 Days, Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Im booking my trip now and I have 6 days free at the end. im thinkin Im going to rent a car and go walkabout (do you really say that or have I seen Croc Dundee too many times?).
Tell me what to do and where to go please. Any offers for an open couch for a night will be greatefully accepted. Dec 12-19
Im so excited:D

when appropriate, yes we still say walkabout... also known as buggering off :D

go south young man!!!

stop off at and dive HMAS brisbane and then keep heading for Byron Bay/North Solitary Islands and South West Rocks

in fact, for my aussie monies worth i would skip the GBR for these 3 dive sites

and if you make it all the way to sydney you let me know!

edit: ouch... dec 12 to 19th we already have someone (fairy bassett) staying with us!!!!!!!!!!

She is on the same trip. I wonder if she knows the evil republican Wildcard is going? LOL Funny, most of my friends are liberals. Could make for some intresting conversations.
Im not so worrried about diving every single moment but I would like to hit a couple of realy great spots. More into sightseeing and just taking it easy.
Cool dive spots. I may have to hit at least two of them. Thanks. What about topside stuff. Not so much into art and such but historical kinds of places.

heheheheh - oh no - the same trip!!!!

cant offer you advise aboot topside.... being a boring old fart we in bed by 9pm every night :D

An interesting drive is to go due west, south and west from Cairns highway 1. It goes from tropic to what looks rolling virginia hills to the arizona desert. I'm not big on nature trips and such but the changes are incredible. You can look across a couple hundred yards and see the change from semi-arid to arid. You go from tropical on the coast to what looks like temperate at the top of the hills. The road goes from two lane paved to one lane paved to one lane dirt. It's a major highway though, pull off with your windshield facing away when the road trains come through. Locals have roo bars for bumpers and screens on their windshields. They haul ***, once you see them you know where they got Mad Max ideas. You can see the dust plumes from a long way off. I found out about the drive heading to Georgetown to do some gold prospecting. There's lots of old stamp mills, boilers and iron stuff just lying around Gerogetown from the gold rush days. Those lines across the highway that say creek and river are sand. If you drive on the washboard roads at 10-15 miles an hour you will rattle your teeth out, speed up to 35-40 and you just get this brrrrrrrrr.

A 50 mile drive out of Cairns is enough to see all the landscape changes.

The Daintree area is supposed to be pretty neat for exploring and hiking, I didn't get up there. I heard on the news some girl got her stomach sliced open by a cassowary, a mean big *** bird, up there on a trail. It's still wild country.

Thats some cool info, thanks!

I wonder if she knows the evil republican Wildcard is going?

Yup. Word has spread. The villagers are alarmed! :D

As well they should be...
Any other topside side trips anyone would like to share?

cairns: rainforest tours

and if you make it down south to Bundeberg you need to go to the rum factory .... or Bundy to the locals:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom