6/8 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Pinktail Triggerfish
1.jpg

Pearly Soldierfish
2.jpg

Spotted Eagle Ray
(the background being the ocean floor was Photoshopped out of this photo)
3.jpg

Very Nice!

Once again, very nice job! I love the spotted eagle ray!

All very nice. Especially like the Soldierfish and Eagle Ray. What PS tool did you use to cut out the background and replace the color? I've got some nice shots against sand or shale that dulls the whole shot, I'd love to make them stand out.

Larry C:
All very nice. Especially like the Soldierfish and Eagle Ray. What PS tool did you use to cut out the background and replace the color? I've got some nice shots against sand or shale that dulls the whole shot, I'd love to make them stand out.

I used the eyedropper tool to get the blue background color from the Pinktail Triggerfish pic then used the paint brush tool to get rid of the background on the eagle ray pic.

It's the hard way. There is an easier way to do it with another tool but I have to look it up. You lasso the object, copy it then paste it on a new canvas with a background color of your choosing. It's not the lasso tool but another one like it that allows some overlapping as you follow the outline of the subject which doesn't show the overlap when you cut the object out. Just can't think of it at the moment.

Gilligan:
I used the eyedropper tool to get the blue background color from the Pinktail Triggerfish pic then used the paint brush tool to get rid of the background on the eagle ray pic.

It's the hard way. There is an easier way to do it with another tool but I have to look it up. You lasso the object, copy it then paste it on a new canvas with a background color of your choosing. It's not the lasso tool but another one like it that allows some overlapping as you follow the outline of the subject which doesn't show the overlap when you cut the object out. Just can't think of it at the moment.

Why not EXTRACT it?

You could use the magic wand tool to select the background, delete it then replace the background with one from another picture or, as Otter suggests, cut it out and put it on a different background (comes out to be pretty much the same).

Okay, I found the Photoshop process that is for separating an image from its background:

The main difficulty with trying to separate an image from its background is that there are pixels which cover an area of the picture which is partly foreground and partly background. With the Lasso Tool and the Magic Wand you have to declare whether a pixel is either foreground or background, even though it may be both.

There is a way that you can cut pixels in half. In Photoshop, the way it works is that if you cut a pixel in half, you'll have the same pixel, but it will be 50% transparent, so it will be affected by what colour you put under it, just like the difference between coloured paper and cellophane.

1 – The original image
Select the Freeform Pen tool from the Toolbox (click and hold down on the pen tool if it's not immediately visible.)

2 - Creating a Path
Use the Freeform Pen to draw a rough outline around the object. (Make sure you have the "Paths" option at the top left of the screen selected.) Generally err on the side of cutting into the image rather than leaving a gap.

Use Ctrl+Click to manipulate the points, and drag their "arms" around to change the curve. To insert a new point, just click on the line.

When you've finished, right-click the line, and click Make Selection. This turns your line into a selection.

3 - Removing the background
Cut out your object and paste it into a new layer. (Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V) You can then replace your background layer with whatever you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom