(6/15/05) Someone tried to steal my float while I was under!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mad_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everybody.
I just wanted to relate something potentially dangerous that happened to me last week while diving in the Pamlico sound near Buxton S.C.
The event happened while I was doing a pretty shallow shore dive, 17 feet/32 minutes with my son, and another dive buddy (both on their 2nd open water dive since OW cert.).
After having a relatively nice (calm) dive with only minimal entanglements from the leader to the float, we were on our return heading when I noticed that the tension in the leader line was feeling odd. At first it felt like there was a pretty stong wind blowing it around. But then it became more violent. It was kind of like you're fishing and you hook 20lbs "bubba" bass.
I started wondering if a sailboat boat had made contact with the float because I hadn't heard any motor noises, but the force on the line was now keeping me from maintaining contact with my dive buddies. So I began to let out more slack from my reel until I could get them to wait while I find the problem.
I had barely gotten my buddies to stop and wait when I was out of line slack and was being pulled towards the surface. Since I hadn't gone deeeper than 17 feet, I didn't have a deco requirement or safety stop. I still didn't hear any boat or other motorized traffic and couldn't see any floating vehicle on my unintended ascent. Basically, though it was a more rapid ascent than I like, it was still manageable.
When I reached the surface, I couldn't believe what I found there! A group of about 15 non-diving, non ENGLISH speaking, non ENGLISH READING, ignorant foreign morons were tugging at, playing with, letting air out of, trying to sink, untie and steal MY DIVE FLOAT! While I was USING IT!
This is no small float either. It's one similar to this link
which is clearly marked in BIG READ LETTERS...... "DIVER BELOW"...

The sound side of the Outer Banks is relatively shallow. Because of the sand build up from the Hatteras Inlet, in just a few feet of distance you can go from 15 feet depth to less than 1 foot. Which is why they were able to come in contact with my float. They were swimming on a shallow sand bar.

Anyway. The potential problem is probably obvious to most of you. For those who dont see the danger: If I had been doing a required deco stop or safety stop from a deep dive, these attempted theives could have cause me to get DCS or worse (depending on the type of diving I was doing and the gas I was using).

When I surfaced and discovered that there were PEOPLE responsible for the problem, I was pretty PISSED! I asked the moron, who's hands were still on the float AND the leader line, what Hel* he was doing? I think it came out more like this "Hey! Dumb As*! Can't you freakin' read? What the hel* are you doing? You trying to kill someone?" His buddies began to laugh and snicker and he let go of the float and rope. Appearantly this was funny to them somehow. At least one of them realized their mistake and attempted to utter a broken english appology. Which was a small consolation. I really wanted to kick his as*. But since there was so many of them, the odds weren't good on that one....lol To make matters even worse, my favorite baseball hat was in the float which was now flooded and soaked!

My buddies surfaced while I was in the middle of chewing the butt-head out. They just as surprised as I was when they found out what was going on.

I guess if I learned anything usefull from this event, I'd say that there's good reason to have someone acting as surface support while your doing shore dives in any vacinity that might be accessible to other people.
If this had happened when we were doing that same dive at night the day before, it would have really freaked me out!

Thanks for reading.

Now I really am a MAD_DIVER!

BTW.... Vacationing the Outer Banks rules~!

Two things:
First - this stuff happens more often than you would think. I have the nice flag on a float, not an inflatable, more like a styrene cylindrical shaped float, but it doesnt have "diver down" on it, only a flag. When i have felt folks pulling on it, i just deflate my BC and tug that sucker underwater. This has two effects, one the folks playing will see its attached to something and leave it alone, or if they get nice and close the resulting flag will poke them and make them think twice before grabbing it again. Around here boaters, particularly those with seadoos use the floats as slalom practice - hence i never surface within 20ft of my float, i just dont want to be that close! Not much you can do about morons though.

Second - as for them potentially causing DCS if you were deeper or doing stops, well that is actually your call whether to continue to hold on or let it go. Now they would be guilty of theft, but its your actions that dictate if you are going to get DCS or not. If you are concerned about stops or ascent rate, just let go of the flag, rather alive and unmarked than getting bent and marked IMO. What would you do if the flag was caught on a boat?

The paper a few years back had a story of a local diver making a routine dive at about 35 feet to a sunken paddle wheeler in Lake Simcoe, Barrie Ontario. The dive site is about 100 to 150 meters off a rocky section of the beach. Many people swim at the beach and the site is a very popular and known dive site. Normally a float makes the wreck after the ice leaves. The diver had his flag on his wrist marking the site and several other divers. All of a sudden ............woosh........diver is rapidly ascending and being towed by a "flag thief" at high speed in a power boat! Lucky for the diver the boater let go of the line and the diver did not hold his breath. I think he lost some gear but escaped serious injury.

Just last year my buddy and I were diving in Parry Sound just at night fall and we surfaced about 50 feet from the flag because we heard an engine. There, at our flag is this dink and his kids in a fare size boat. "hey, you guys find anything?" If it hadn't been for the kids (5 and under) I would have rained a shower of profanity that I, as a sailor, can do very well.

Here in Canada we are issuing a "Safe Boating Card" to pleasure craft operators. We should also have a means of fining or punishing people who disobey the Canada Shipping act and other laws that are in place for our safety.

There is another case last year where a diver was surfacing on a small lake and a speed boater steaming by at mach 10 killed him when the motor skeg caught him in the head: boater did not even stop or notice!

OMG!
I hadn't realized how often this situation takes place. I thought my instance was rare. Boy how unfortunate it is to find that there are that many boaters and jet skiers out there who don't know the rules (laws?).
I remember a ranger telling my son and I that even jet ski's have to stay 200 feet from any markers and at least 50' from any swimming area.
Aren't boaters required to sign something like the DMV paper when they go to get their licensing for the water craft?

Looks like it's dangerous out there. So let's be careful people!

The Horn:
... All of a sudden ............woosh........diver is rapidly ascending and being towed by a "flag thief" at high speed in a power boat! Lucky for the diver the boater let go of the line and the diver did not hold his breath. I think he lost some gear but escaped serious injury.

One more reason to carry a speargun and powerhead... :wink:

Mad_diver:
Aren't boaters required to sign something like the DMV paper when they go to get their licensing for the water craft?
As long as they pay the state taxes when they buy it or renew that license every year, that is all the local government cares about. No handling/skill tests (not that the driving test here is difficult!) required, just money.

Here in Florida, all you need for to drive a boat is money. No brain required. This is an excellent reason to never clip off a dive flag.

You can't regulate stupidity. It's not just divers-anchored fishermen, boats on docks and paddlers-all plainly visible have the same problem with loons going by them full speed 100 feet away. It's not ignorance, anyone can see their wake and the effect it has. It's just a lack of -- mental capability, courtesy, awareness--who knows?

DennisS:
It's just a lack of -- mental capability, courtesy, awareness--who knows?
I believe those people are self-absorbed in their "fun". I wont say i havent taken a speedboat around 80mph out on a flat piece of water, but it was way away from anyone else - but going fast is fun! But the wake of a boat above the plane is less than just before it starts planing - quite considerable, of course idling along has less wake again.

Its just like the folks who stir up the bottom when diving, they dont look behind them to see what damage they are causing.

my buddy and i were diving in the shenandoah river.
we had our flag out and tied to a rock.
suddenly i feel a sharp pull on my shoulder.
what i find is a fishing lure stuck in my wet suit and am being pulled up.
the woman screams when i surface next to her canoe.
when asked why they were fishing so close to a dive flag , she responds by saying that she thought all the bubbles were caused by fish.
she then demanded that i return her lure.
i cut the line with my knife leaving the lure stuck in my wet suit.
i told her to come and get it and then submerged to resume my dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom