5mm or 7mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishyangel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got certified in the Cayman Islands and did a total of 15 dives. Went down with a Henderson Thermoprene 3mm and after 3-4 days of diving two tanks every morning, I was getting to be really cold from the moment I entered the 81 deg water, though it would lessen a bit if I was doing a bit of finning. Was even cold in an afternoon dive at Stingray CIty in 12'. So I got a 1.5mm ONeill shirt to wear under and was much better, but still not warm enough to do afternoon dives.

What do I get? I plan to mostly do warm water vacation diving, but I might give the Jersey shore a try in summer (approx 70 deg). Given that I'm already diving with 4.5 on my core, 7mm seems like the logical choice, but then I read about people diving in 50 deg water with them and it seems like overkill. Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Remember everyone is different and have different tolerances to cold. If at all possible try renting the 5mm and see if you get cold in your usual dive spots.

I use a 4/3mm suit in 72 degree water and I am good for about 40 minutes if I have my hooded vest on before I start to shiver a little bit. My fiance does the same dive in a 7mm farmer john which gives her 14mm in her core, and she still comes out a little cold after that same dive for 40 minutes.

All personal preference. Different brands may be warmer than others too, rent some and see what you like.

Good luck.

choices,choices,

Imo it all comes down to the amount of bioprene a diver has.:D
Reading your story,guess you don't have to much.:wink:For me when diving in the Red Sea water also round 80F
I allways take a 7mm,but I also don't have alot of bioprene.If it gets to warm:shakehead: I just open the zip for a while.

Have you tried wearing a hood with your current configuration? Having your head covered makes a surprising difference in comfort level. Just a thought :)
Cheers!

Hoods are great. After years of not wearing one, thinking it would not be comfortable, now I would never travel without my 2 mm vest w/ hood. Makes a big difference, keeping my head warm and a better seal around the neck to prevent cooler water leaking in. Started out using 3/2 suits, got cold and moved up to 5 mm. Now I use a 5 mm fullsuit and add the 2 mm hooded vest when needed. 7 mm suits have a place, but a bit expensive, and heavy/bulky if you travel to dive locations.

Heh, bioprene! I told my boyfriend I should just get fat, but he's pushing for a neoprene solution. The vest/hood idea sounds like a good next step. Someone on a dive boat offered to let me use her beanie - I should have taken her up on it and tried it out. Do you wear the vest over or under your full suit?

I kept on getting cold in Bonaire (80-82F) on both trips with 3mm+4mm hooded shorty and an Aeroskin that supposedly adds 0.5mm. First day I was able to handle it with skin, 3mm plus beanie for first dives but in the evening I was already sorry. By third day, I just gave up and loaded all the stuff on - and still was chilled on dives 4 and 5.

I decided on 5mm, even though I know people who dive with 7 (or 7/5/4) too - only because I have trouble with the heat too. 7mm can be such a drag to put on/survive topside especially when using it on hot locations (and when needing to accomodate others and having to put it on and wait for your turn a bit). I also paid particular attention to the fit, got a real snug suit this time. Beanie adds a huge amount of warmth to the combo, I plan to take that with me still.

I wanted to try some of the 7/5 etc suits but unfortunately none of them were sold locally.

My wife is 5'3" and 110 lbs. She gets cold really easily but is a trooper. However, when we were in Cozumel over the Xmas holidays, she had me bring her 7mm full wetsuit for diving in 80 degree water. Everyone on the boat was laughing at her at first because everyone else was wearing a 3mm wetsuit, but come the surface interval, everyone else on the boat was shivering except me and her. LOL!

You have to know yourself. I was wearing a 3mm on the same dives, but I am more thermally resistant (i.e. chunky) than my wife.

However, the way I figure it, at depths of 90ft., that 7mm wetsuit gets compressed pretty thin anyway. Also, if I have ever been a little warm in a wetsuit, I just pull at my neck and flush water inside my wetsuit to cool off (this also helps if you need to "flush" after peeing).

Absolutely positively wear as much as you need. More than one drysuit manufacturer is now making a tropical weight suit. Small women are particulary prone to getting cold. One of my divemaster candidates is a young lady who is about 5 foot 2 and 110 pounds just came back from florida and told me she regretted not taking her drysuit with her.

Also, if I have ever been a little warm in a wetsuit, I just pull at my neck and flush water inside my wetsuit to cool off (this also helps if you need to "flush" after peeing).

:confused: Is it me or the zips on the wetsuit are...well next to your face....so if you pee and open....doesnt it go straight in the face.....mmmm pee taste...:no peeing in the wetsuit is a big no-no.....yukie

:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom