$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for anyone wanting to do this, I do NOT recommend using the compressor above.

If you're gonna do it, this series of compressors uses the same twin diaphragm style compressors used in oxygen concentrators and hookah systems. More than $40 obviously, but it's the right style compressor pump vs. the other oil-less systems that get very hot and may offgas some stuff from the compressor itself. I'd dive with this with no problem after cleaning the tank/hose or go straight out of the pump, but I'm not ballsy enough to use the one listed above

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...ctric-Hot-Dog-Quiet-Air-Compressor/1000405185

What t
for anyone wanting to do this, I do NOT recommend using the compressor above.

If you're gonna do it, this series of compressors uses the same twin diaphragm style compressors used in oxygen concentrators and hookah systems. More than $40 obviously, but it's the right style compressor pump vs. the other oil-less systems that get very hot and may offgas some stuff from the compressor itself. I'd dive with this with no problem after cleaning the tank/hose or go straight out of the pump, but I'm not ballsy enough to use the one listed above

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...ctric-Hot-Dog-Quiet-Air-Compressor/1000405185
What type of gases? And from what the diaphragm?

What t

What type of gases? And from what the diaphragm?

traditional oil-less compressors are pre-lubed with teflon. The gas inside of these compressors gets VERY hot which is why they have a limited duty cycle before overheating. Teflon as a lubricant means it will wear off over time and the combo of it wearing off and the heat makes it carcinogenic which is why teflon pans have started to fall out of favor.
The duty cycle of these compressors is typically 30 on, 30 off and on a hookah that can be a problem.

The diaphragm compressors run a lot cooler and don't use the same type of pre-lube. There is a reason that hookahs and O2 concentrators use those diaphragm style compressors, I would recommend following suit.

That lowes compressor is pretty nice and not too expensive also I may have to test that one also, as for the one I'm currently testing I cleaned out the internal with Simple Green and only slightly lubricated the cylinder walls with a food base lubricant popular in the AR-15 world

View attachment 465187 here's the specs on what I'm using $20 hookah regulator $20 PVC line $40 compressor kind of went over the $50 Mark but oh well still not bad hopefully haven't breathed on it much but I had it set at 40 PSI and it was breathing pretty darn good also seem to be keeping up with me just fine using a 400w inverter I found it to be running great at 13.8 volts not so much in the lower 12volt rangeView attachment 465187 View attachment 465187 View attachment 465189 View attachment 465188

Is 40 PSI enough?

traditional oil-less compressors are pre-lubed with teflon. The gas inside of these compressors gets VERY hot which is why they have a limited duty cycle before overheating. Teflon as a lubricant means it will wear off over time and the combo of it wearing off and the heat makes it carcinogenic which is why teflon pans have started to fall out of favor.
The duty cycle of these compressors is typically 30 on, 30 off and on a hookah that can be a problem.

The diaphragm compressors run a lot cooler and don't use the same type of pre-lube. There is a reason that hookahs and O2 concentrators use those diaphragm style compressors, I would recommend following suit.
I second that. Look for a diaphragm compressor.

FWIW, I have two diaphragm compressors that came out of medical oxygen concentrators. They are safe for breathing. Have to check whether the volume flow is enough for hookah. Will post them in the for sale section in a few weeks if they are suitable.

That lowes compressor is pretty nice and not too expensive also I may have to test that one also, as for the one I'm currently testing I cleaned out the internal with Simple Green and only slightly lubricated the cylinder walls with a food base lubricant popular in the AR-15 world

FrogLube? I use that stuff on my guns.

Back
Top Bottom