5 Tips For Choosing Your First BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one is saying that. What is being said is to not spread MIS-information. You can do pros and cons of each all day long and that is fine.

Here is an example:

Jacket BCD - Comfy, easy, stylish, secure

BP/W - Comfy, easy, cheaper replacement parts, YOU GET ANTHRAX AND DIE, adjustable,

Well on down the road people get to where they heard their instructor one time say YOU GET ANTHRAX AND DIE and now that has been repeated enough that people take it as truth. A. It is not the truth B. Should not be used as a con for one device and a pro for another.
Anthrax?

Read the posting date EireDiver. This is an old thread re-opened yesterday. No point in poking for answers on any of those old posts.

I think this article was written by someone who has never dived.

FWIW I just completed my open water certification last weekend. My first weekend in the pool I used a jacket style BCD (Scubapro X-One), then switched to my own Litehawk back inflate at the lake. I actually found it much easier to float at the surface in the Litehawk than the jacket BCD. Now if either was overinflated they both would try to put me face down in the water, although the jacket fully inflated was still much worse. The only advantage the jacket style had was, with it's cummerbund, less likely to ride up on me. That part was a bit annoying with the weight belt style strap on the Litehawk, but it was manageable and on a normal dive I wouldn't be spending as much time on the surface as I did in training.

As far as comfort goes, I'm tall and skinny and found the thinner, padded straps of the Litehawk WAY more comfortable. And despite the padding I required less weight.

In terms of trim, the Litehawk was leaps and bounds better than the jacket BCD. Overall incredibly happy with my purchase!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom