5 Stars! Turneffe Island Lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can sum it up quite simply....

Turneffe Island Lodge sets the standards all others are compared to. (and I am quite picky)

I just returned from TIL and had a great time. I cannot say enough about the fantastic operation. The GM's, Rona & Assaf, have their eyes on every minute detail. Things run smoothly and your every need is taken care of. Our DM and boat captain were top notch, Bo the DM and John the captain. John was a man of few words, but he knew his way around the atoll....getting us to sites in record timeand always a free hand for gear, cameras and fresh towels. Bo is one heck of a diver in his own rite and an excellet DM as well. He took care of those that needed taking care of, and let those who were in no need set their own profile within recreational limits.

The food was wonderful. All freshly baked breads, tortes, pies and cakes. Seafood, pork, italian, local fare and vegan if requested. BBQ on the beach the last night. The housekeeping is also top notch....the rooms were kept sparkling clean and the lodging is gorgeous. We upgraded to a private cabana and were astounded at the elegance of it. The floors, walls and peaked ceiling were local hardwood planks varnished to a high gloss, add french doors, and caribbean styled furniture and you find yourself in heaven for a week. Each cabana had a private outdoor shower (in addition to one inside) for showering off sand and saltwater. The outdoor shower was totally private and the floor and ceiling were tightly screened to keep out mosquitos....same with the front porch of the cabana....floor and walls were tightly screened to keep out the blood sucking vampires. Nice touch with two rocking chairs on the porch too.

There's not much to do on the atoll other than dive, game fish, and kayak. But the solitude is fantastic. Nothing like spending your surface interval dozing in a hammock under a palapa with a good book.

Three dives per day, one night dive per week....obligatory trip to the blue hole and the Booby preserve.

The life....the reef was healthy, lots of schools, several sharks, eels galore. I rate it right up there second to Cayman Brac for the abundance and variety of life.

It's worth a looksee.

www.turneffelodge.com

Diver Lori:

Turneffe Island Lodge sets the standards all others are compared to. (and I am quite picky)

I just returned from TIL and had a great time. I cannot say enough about the fantastic operation. The GM's, Rona & Assaf, have their eyes on every minute detail. Things run smoothly and your every need is taken care of. Our DM and boat captain were top notch, Bo the DM and John the captain. John was a man of few words, but he knew his way around the atoll....getting us to sites in record timeand always a free hand for gear, cameras and fresh towels. Bo is one heck of a diver in his own rite and an excellet DM as well. He took care of those that needed taking care of, and let those who were in no need set their own profile within recreational limits.

The food was wonderful. All freshly baked breads, tortes, pies and cakes. Seafood, pork, italian, local fare and vegan if requested. BBQ on the beach the last night. The housekeeping is also top notch....the rooms were kept sparkling clean and the lodging is gorgeous. We upgraded to a private cabana and were astounded at the elegance of it. The floors, walls and peaked ceiling were local hardwood planks varnished to a high gloss, add french doors, and caribbean styled furniture and you find yourself in heaven for a week. Each cabana had a private outdoor shower (in addition to one inside) for showering off sand and saltwater. The outdoor shower was totally private and the floor and ceiling were tightly screened to keep out mosquitos....same with the front porch of the cabana....floor and walls were tightly screened to keep out the blood sucking vampires. Nice touch with two rocking chairs on the porch too.

There's not much to do on the atoll other than dive, game fish, and kayak. But the solitude is fantastic. Nothing like spending your surface interval dozing in a hammock under a palapa with a good book.

Three dives per day, one night dive per week....obligatory trip to the blue hole and the Booby preserve.

The life....the reef was healthy, lots of schools, several sharks, eels galore. I rate it right up there second to Cayman Brac for the abundance and variety of life.

It's worth a looksee.

www.turneffelodge.com

What's it called again? :D

---
Ken

(hint - click the smiley...)

Diver Lori:

It's worth a looksee.

www.turneffelodge.com

As I was reading your trip report I kept kicking myself for going to Ramons Village on Ambergris, which lacks everything that Turneffe Lodge has. That sounds wonderful, safe and relaxing. A diver's dream vacation. Ramon's Village was the mirror opposite of that because it was noisy, crowded, impersonal and uncomfortable - overpriced for what it was. When you consider that you have to share the beach with the local, town's population,[ their adds never tell you that ] you get some idea how different it is there compared to your wonderful dive trip.

I also hear that the diving is better down around Turneffe than it is up on Ambergris? Your trip report confirms what I've heard about the TIL. Could you tell us a bit about the diving?

Thanks for the report, we are headed for Turneffe Caye in September.

Any other diving details? Photo's?

SoCalOffshore:
Sounds great. But is it twice as good as Roatan? I ask as it seems twice the price.

Been both places and i think it is. TIL is simply the best all around dive resort i've ever visited. And if you like to fish, its even more off the charts.
Well worth the extra money IMO.

TCDiver1:
Been both places and i think it is. TIL is simply the best all around dive resort i've ever visited. And if you like to fish, its even more off the charts.
Well worth the extra money IMO.

Maybe you can answer this? Why do they charge the non diver the same as a diver, less $100? I would like to go there but it doesn't seem to be fair pricing for the non diving spouse.

pilot fish:
Maybe you can answer this? Why do they charge the non diver the same as a diver, less $100? I would like to go there but it doesn't seem to be fair pricing for the non diving spouse.
Maybe that's close to the real incremental cost of providing air and whatever for one more person (or not) in a small place where most people are usually diving? I'd guess the incremental cost probably isn't even that high. Just like the savings for a non-diver on a liveaboard is typically small.

(Though it looks to me like the difference between the "dive" and "beachcombers" 7nt package ranges around 250-400?)

Damselfish:
Maybe that's close to the real incremental cost of providing air and whatever for one more person (or not) in a small place where most people are usually diving? I'd guess the incremental cost probably isn't even that high. Just like the savings for a non-diver on a liveaboard is typically small.

(Though it looks to me like the difference between the "dive" and "beachcombers" 7nt package ranges around 250-400?)

Most places charge between $40 to $60 USD for two tank boat dives so simple calaculation should be about $240 to $360 less for non diver. I see your point about liveabord but in this case, with land based, the non diver is not aboard the boat. Just seems odd and not totally fair?

Didn't understand your last paragraph.You can get a beachcomber status for less?

Mo2vation:
What's it called again? :D

---
Ken

(hint - click the smiley...)

Ken! Too funny. I took a quick look at your pictures and unless the cabana's were decorated the same....we even stayed in the same cabana as you! C6?

Lori

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom