5 mm Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ApexLongimanus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking for a new 5 mm wetsuit. I currently own a Henderson Gold Core and I am not happy with the quality as seams are coming apart etc.
I looked at the WaterProof Lynx and the Mares Trilastic. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with either one?

I've had some problerms with my Henderson GC also. At first uit was just seams but now I've had the smooth skin stick to itself and tear. If yours is reasonably new, Henderson may do the repairs for you. Mine is old so I've been able to repair it myself fairly easily with neoprene glue.

Yeah, I know. I've had it for repairs and they are pretty good with their warranty. Nevertheless, it's annoying to send it back and forth. It's sad that the initial quality is not good.
Anyway, I'm tired of it and have decided to go with another brand.

ApexLongimanus:
Does anyone have good or bad experiences with either one?

No but I'm fond of my Bare 5/4 Velocity. Worn with a hooded chicken vest it can go a ways. I'll admit that in Maine I don't get it in the ocean very often for scuba dives but I did enjoy a few lightweight dives while our water was at it's best. Most of the mileage on mine has been skin-diving up here.

It's been wet over 125 times and still looks good.

Pete

I dive with a 8,7,6,5mm suit so this may not apply to you but I'll post it anyways. I dive an Xcel Polar-Quad density wetsuit and I love it. It is the most well designed suit I have ever worn, and I've worn a lot. It has an integrated hood and zipper across the chest. I know their thinner wetsuits take joint dexterity into consideration as well. I suggest you check out their website, it's pretty informative. Plus I'm pretty sure they make their own wetsuits and don't farm out the manufacturing process like most of the brands out there.

http://xcelwetsuits.com/05dive/home.html

I hope this helps

Billy

Normally I am a cocktail diver (warm-water only), but I really want to dive the CA channel islands. I have a 5/4 mm wetsuit that I use when I windsurf the Oregon coast, which is fine because I am not in the water to long.

I was wondering what is the coldest water & outside temp people have been in with a 5mm and have been comfortable/"warm".

IMO outside temperature won't be a limiting factor. I've donned wetsuits in the high 30sF and with the sun out and the wind reasonable the donning can be a smooth transition. Getting out of it when wet can be a bit exciting but sometimes it is the price of admission. As I used to tell my kids when getting a shot, "you may not really like it but it wont harm you".

As far as the water temps for just a fullsuit I have made dives in my 5/4 and a beanie in the mid 60sF and I was fine. Take it to 60F or a tad lower with a hodded chicken vest.

Pete

I am considering purchasing a Henderson Gold Core Hooded Vest to wear under my Henderson Titanium. I have never owned anything Gold Core. Your thoughts?

I love mine scubapro 5mm thermal tec

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom