5 days in and around Sydney: where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New thread!

So, for any future first-time visitors to Australia reading this - it's not just Australia that's big, so is New South Wales. Distances are long and travel times longer, esp by public transport.

Can I get some more advice please?

I'm now planning on being in and near Sydney for 5 days at the end of Nov, Mon-Fri, and would like to get in the water. Where should I go, and who with?

Current research suggests some shore dives with Manly Dive Centre and/or Frogdive. I'm also keen to dive the Botany Bay entrance in my quest for seadragons (h/t Michael for the info on his website) - are there any dive centres that go there regularly? (Sydney Dive Academy, mentioned on these pages, has closed)

Do any of the Sydney dive centres operate boat dives during the week, rather than weekends?

And is there anywhere near Sydney (I mean within 2 hours) that I should try to day trip?

(Recall: I was looking at a 3-day trip to SW Rocks but the travel times don't really make it practical, esp as I'll be solo at that point and don't really fancy 4-5 hour drives only 2 days apart. Jervis Bay and Forster are also quite a distance when time is limited. I have to be in Sydney itself until the Weds morning, which is why I'm not looking at GBR trips etc)

thanks again!

I regularly dive with Abyss around the south side of Sydney. They run free guided site dives from Fri - Sun and boat dives Fri, Sat and Sun. Their schedule is here Scuba Diving and Freediving in Sydney

Gear hire is reasonably priced and they can usually organise transport from their shop to dive site. They are very responsive to email, so drop them a message.

I regularly dive with Abyss, you can book through their website. If you want to see weedies the sites you want are The steps and the leap. Be warned though the leap you need to be pretty good on air and you need to watch bottom time and when they tell you to hold onto your mask when you giant stride in ....believe them. It's a long surface swim to the exit if your mask comes off and sinks - it has happened. Also it is not easy -, you have steep stairs to get up and down and rocky shore entry with possible swell to deal with, you'll want to have gloves and booties on, can be a bit hairy if you have only ever done boat dives, all depending on conditions. You generally only dive these sites on an incoming tide, the leap is a drift and you need to be down at least 45 mins, an hour is better.

They are doing The leap and the steps Fri Nov 24. For some reason no shore dive scheduled the following Friday, call and ask.... You could ask Abyss if they having anyone looking for a buddy to dive during the week. Unfortunately Sydney diving is concentrated on weekends as it's really not a tourist diving destination.

Your other option if Wed Nov 29 is the day ,is to ask Abyss about a private divemaster to take you to The Steps, they quote $149 for that on their boat dives, Call or email them and ask. they may have someone available. Low tide is 11:19 am so you aim to get in the water at the leap just after that.

If you want dive some more during the week check Prodive, the boat goes out Thursday: Sydney Double Boat Dive - PRO DIVE Manly - Book Now
https://www.prodive.com.au/nofreeze/BookSchedule_new.asp?Version=240&Product=Sydney Double Boat Dive
I've been out with them, well run and convenient as hire gear is on the boat, all you need to do is show up on time. Be aware that it will be weather dependent, so if a low has just come through could be cancelled. On Thu Nov 30 it is scheduled for Magic Point, a nice enough dive site even if the grey nurse sharks rarely seem to be home. On that site you can see wobbegongs, giant cuttlefish, blue grouper among other things. If you go into the cave (has to be no sharks around) I've found eastern blue devilfish hanging around up the back. So I'd suggest bringing a dive torch.

Thanks to all for the information on here.

For any future interest in weekday Sydney diving, these are the dive centres I have found that go out Mon-Fri (almost all dive centres go out on Saturdays, many also on Sundays). Shore dives unless stated.

Mondays: Prodive Manly, Dive Centre Manly
Tuesdays: none
Wednesdays: Dive Centre Manly
Thursdays: Prodive Manly (boat)
Friday: Prodive Manly (boat), Prodive Coogee, Prodive Cronulla, Dive Centre Manly, Abyss (boat and shore)

Corrections and additions welcome.

Hi wanderer,

If you're around Darling Harbour, Sydney be sure to check out the Asian food court a few blocks away. You would be spoiled for choice and the Laksa is to die for.

Thanks to all for the information on here.

For any future interest in weekday Sydney diving, these are the dive centres I have found that go out Mon-Fri (almost all dive centres go out on Saturdays, many also on Sundays). Shore dives unless stated.

Mondays: Prodive Manly, Dive Centre Manly
Tuesdays: none
Wednesdays: Dive Centre Manly
Thursdays: Prodive Manly (boat)
Friday: Prodive Manly (boat), Prodive Coogee, Prodive Cronulla, Dive Centre Manly, Abyss (boat and shore)

Corrections and additions welcome.

I work 6 days a week. You can guess which is my regular day off each week, can't you?

Back
Top Bottom