5-15 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
sponge_crab.jpg

lobster.jpg

tomsmith_nudi.jpg

leaf_pair.jpg

fireworm.jpg

turtles.jpg

I saved the worst for last.
This turtle is suffering from Fibropapillomatosis.
It is the only known global disease of an animal. There is currently no cure for this debilitating, life threatening disease. Fibropapilloma tumors are lobe-shaped tumors that can infect all soft portions of a turtle's body. Research is still ongoing to try and understand how the disease starts and spreads. Death is a common outcome.
turtle_sick.jpg

Love the first turtle shot, Jim! And the second one is very sad.
Do you know the life expectancy once the disease sets in?

JTemple:
Love the first turtle shot, Jim! And the second one is very sad.
Do you know the life expectancy once the disease sets in?

No I don't. Eventually the tumors make some of them blind. I don't doubt they become weak enough to become part of the food chain for Tiger Sharks.

Great shots, Jim. Very sad indeed about the Turtle. Beautiful detail on the Tom Smith's Nudie and the Fireworm.

WOW! Great shots, Jim! Keep them coming please! :D

Ed.

I have heard of cases where the tumors have been removed....not sure how long it takes for them to grow back...

nice pics jim :wink:

Thanks for sharing.

CheddarChick:
:( Is this a natural disease? Great shots once again.

The cause(s) is not completely known but a herpes virus is suspected. Researchers in Hawaii suspect another cause to be in the turtles food chain.

A turtle hospital in Florida has had some success in removing the tumors then keeping the animal in quarantine for a year before releasing it. Often times the size of the tumor externally is equally as big, or larger, internally.

If you do a Google search there are several websites that discuss fibropapilloma.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom