4500psi fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's just sick. About 125 pounds negative full for the pair.:shocked2:

Yep, I put one of them on a 55 lbs Halcyon wing fully inflated. It dropped to the bottom like the wing was not there at all. Those cylinders are massive. The 120's are almost as bad.

I'm just curious: what kind of tank would you possibly take to a shop to fill to 4500 PSI?
Most of the time it is paintball cylinders or SCBA units for the Fire departments. 4500psi carbon fiber wrapped cylinders are very popular.

These days, compressors are usually rated to 5000 PSI but that's for purposes of filling HP (e.g., 444CF @ 4500 PSI) bottles for banking air or nitrox. But you don't "fill" these at Scuba shops.

Why not, we do it all the time. Of course, I have 4 submarine ballast tanks we use as an air bank. :D I have 5 mounted in a microbus we use as a mobile fill station, we even supply air to paintball shops that don't have a compressor. You might be surprised how many other sports use compressed air, then there are commercial industries that need compressed air but don't use enough to justify a $35,000.00 compressor, filter stack, and maintenance.

I'm just curious: what kind of tank would you possibly take to a shop to fill to 4500 PSI?

For SCUBA specifically, AGA sold double 4400psi SCUBA tanks here in the '70s and 80's. I used to have several sets. Luxfer sold a 105CF ~4500psi SCUBA tank for a few years.

....what a waste......so far I'm seeing 'mega' fills available in decidedly 'not a dive destination hotspots' of NYC.....N Louisiana.....Oklahoma.......here in N. Texas, and on any dive destination I've ever been (numerous liveaboards/land based ops) it's a miracle to even get a tank filled to it's rated capacity. I consider it a good day when I see my tropical location/ AL 80 filled to 3100-3200 psi.....or a HP 3442 psi-rated tank (in Coz) hitting 3200-3300 psi. The only overfills I've ever gotten were at one good LDS (that went out of business 3 yrs' ago.) that was very 'tech-friendly' and never had any problem shooting another few hundred PSI in over-rating if I wanted....and once they, by chance, filled one of my 3500 PSI tanks to 4000 psi...but no biggie. Most shops here are openly hostile to requests for 'overfills' of any sort.......my liveabaord experiences have been a mixed bag.....some are open to top-offs after cooling down, while others gave me major pushback and made me feel very unwelcome when I requested 'top-offs' afer cool down.

I have two shops within a couple miles of my house in Virginia Beach.

One shop is very tech friendly and will fill to capacity and overfill LPs when requested. They do it consistently and they do it with a smile. They're not doing 4500+psi though.

The other shop seems to think the DOT will kick down their door if they give a 10% overfill on a LP tank. Nine out of ten fills, I can't even get my HP tanks filled to rated capacity there, much less 4500psi. That shop might accuse me of McCarthyism if I said 4500 and psi in the same sentence...so I'm afraid - and not asking.

Thanks

Luxfer sold a 105CF ~4500psi SCUBA tank for a few years.

My understanding is that Luxfer is still manufacturing the 106cuft 4350psi aluminum composite scuba tanks. Kind of weird for sure, and I'm curious as to what the market is for these.

Hi Cave Diver.

I am not asking about OVER filling tanks beyond their rating. Just curious about how widespread the 4500psi capability is. I don't presently have any SCUBA tanks rated to 4500psi but I used to own a set of AGA 4400psi DOT 3AA tanks and a set of Russian titanium tanks that were rated for 550 bar (about 8000psi).

Where did you get the Russian titanium tanks. Years ago my brother was going to start importing them but ran into DOT certification problems. He had a sample one but his partner got it.

Where did you get the Russian titanium tanks. Years ago my brother was going to start importing them but ran into DOT certification problems. He had a sample one but his partner got it.

They came to me thru a friend in Armenia back in the mid '70's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom