40th anniversary 2 weeks in Maldives, which atolls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In October we will be taking a two week trip to the Maldives. The number of atolls and resorts are overwhelming. We are x-divers but strong snorkelers. Like 5 star comfortable and safe places to stay. Would love to be able to see whale sharks, manta rays, other sharks, etc. I know there's been a lot of bleaching, etc., but would love recommendations for resorts with the best house reefs and chances of seeing the above. Flying from the US arriving on Saturday pm, since anniversary is on that Sunday would need something that isn't a huge flight from Male. Perhaps might be good to try at least two locations. Thoughts??

As an avid snorkeler (as well as diver) I sympathize with the lack of response to your query! I have been only once to the Maldives, for four weeks in November 2020 (I KNOW), on a dive liveaboard, resort island (Kuredu) and local island (Rasdhoo). Some general advice: (1) October is not the best month to go. Even November of 2020 still had rain, wind and rough seas, less of an impact on a resort island than a liveaboard, but why go during the monsoon? (2) if you are arriving late in the day, you may have no or few options for either seaplane or speedboat transfers, so check this first and foremost when choosing a resort. Worst case. it is possible Maldives may go into renewed restrictions which could leave you stranded in Male! (3) Even though you lose a day in the transfer, it is a good idea to split your time between two islands, but I wouldn't go to more than two. Many resorts repeat their theme nights and excursions on a weekly basis. Remember that Friday is their holy day so it may impact transfers and excursions. (4) For whale sharks, you should choose a southern atoll. But October is not a good time of year to see whale sharks. Mantas are possible in many areas - just research the most well known and reliable spots when choosing a resort. (5) Snorkeling Maldives is great in my opinion, despite the terrible condition of the coral, because you can see many large animals - many species of sharks, rays, eels, even Napoleon wrasse, groupers and other large fish - in 10-30 feet of water! Good luck and congratulations!

I cannot offer any advice but congratulations on your anniversary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom