400D Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southernblue

Registered
Reaction score
:DHi all, i am getting an Ikelite housing for my 400D.

I can get it here in OZ for a decent price within a week of ordering at an extra postage cost.

My question is, i have a 50mm f1.4, and a 28-105mm f3.5-4.5,
What port should i get, the 50mm or the 28-105mm?

I will be shooting ambient without strobes to start with, and will be getting 2 ike 125 strobe and arm package when i have the $$

Thanks.

Southernblue. See below link. Ikelite lists which ports to use with the 28-105mm. While the 50mm 1.4 is a great topside portrait lens, I'm not sure if it will be a good lens to have underwater as its not a macro lens and would limit your use (I think it's closest focus is around 0.5m)

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_canon.html

The 28-105 would not be a very useful lens on the 400D. It won't be wide enough for wide angle, and it's not really a macro lens either. Trust me, you want wide angle OR macro. An 18-55 would be far more useful.

The 50 1.4 isn't a macro lens, but you could at least buy a close up lens (a +2 or +4 diopter). That would let you focus very close. Bear in mind that for any macro you MUST have some strobe lighting. Will the 400D's internal flash work through the housing? If not, don't even bother to use the 50 or 28-105 without a strobe.

Another alternative is to find an 18-55. Buy the correct port. You will probably need a +4 diopter too. Then get a Magic Filter. www.magic-filters.com I found the filters highly useful.

Getting a housing a great first step!

But neither of your lenses are really suitable for underwater work, so I would also invest in some glass and the correct port.

As you will be shooting without strobes, I'd be tempted to say head to WA more so than macro. Maybe the Sigma 17-70 which will be a good lens even after you get the strobe. Or the Canon 10-22/Sigma 10-20 - both are very good choices, too.

The magic filter idea is a good one IF you will be shooting in the conditions it is designed for. Check out their site for more details.

Personally I can't imagine using my camera without a strobe, but that's dictated a lot by the type of shooting I really enjoy. I'd be buying a strobe ASAP or I think you're going to find your self quite frustrated with the limitations of natural light...depending on where you shoot and what you like to shoot, of course!

Check out the pink link in my signature as there is a short list of lenses and details about why they work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom