>40% EANx regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was looking at the Apeks xtx200 and one of the listed features is "Compatible to EAN 40, new, out of the box"

This got me wondering. If I wanted to do stage deco diving with >40% EAN, what would I need?
(1) Is it 1st stage or 2nd stage or both that need to be compatible for >40%?
(2) How do you know which regs are good for >40%? I've been lightly searching a few online vendors and manufacturer sites and most don't have anything about >40 EAN in their descriptions.

1. first stage, IP is not high enough for the second stages to require O2 cleaning, but it is recommended
2. they're sold as deco regulators. They're also usually green
XTX40/DS4, DIN - Oxygen - Dive Right in Scuba

That said, most any first stage can be O2 cleaned for use with 100% oxygen and this should all be discussed in your AN/DP type class because high pressure oxygen is probably the second most dangerous thing about high O2 deco diving, first being oxtox due to you being an idiot and switching to the wrong regulator at depth, part of why the second stages are usually bright green....

Get a real O2 first stage like the DS4. These are actually assembled in a clean room.

Second stages don't actually need to be O2 cleaned and since they're not in contact with high pressure O2 (unless you have some kind of first stage failure and somehow miraculously high pressure O2 came down the LP line.)

This got me wondering. If I wanted to do stage deco diving with >40% EAN, what would I need?

The Dive Rite regulator that was linked to by another poster is an excellent deal. However, many people like using a low performance unbalanced first and second stage (such as a SP MK2/R190 or an AL Calypso) because they are cheap to by used and the o-ring count is so low. The loss of performance isn't really an issue given the shallow depths an O2 regulator is used at. There is no reason to purchase a $665 regulator for O2.

Awesome. That answers all my questions. Thanks all.
I don't know why I didn't put 2 & 2 together. I've seen the green reg sets and just glossed over them.

Funny... I was flipping through the Apeks product page and was just reading about the XTX40/DS4 when I checked for responses on here so I had just answered my own question. Duh!!

The Dive Rite regulator that was linked to by another poster is an excellent deal...//...
I don't know anything about the Dive Rite set itself but it cost me almost as much to service and O2 clean a reg set.

assembled in a cleanroom doesn't mean jack as soon as it is taken out of said cleanroom.... Poseidon claims that they use a non o2 clean lubricant during the milling process, and technically yes you can't get all of that out, BUT the valve is actually the most critical part of the whole process as the gas makes a HP 90* turn first and then goes into the first stage where it usually makes another two 90* turns at HP before being knocked down *one for the seat, one for the SPG*. Combine this with most tanks not being O2 clean when they get to you where most of this stuff is happening. Very few valves are certified O2 clean out of the box, the valves have high flow in and decently high flow out, this is your concern and where most accidents I've read about actually happened including Rick Allen losing his arm....

Get them O2 cleaned, as simple as simple green in the ultrasonic, proper O2 lubricants, and viton O-rings and you're good to go. In my opinion the DS4 is a terrible choice for an O2 reg if you're at all concerned about the flow of O2. It has an extra 90* bend, and it is a diaphragm which is prone to burning and most diaphragms used for O2 use show signs of this on rebuild.

Balance Piston Din First Stage "For Pony / Stage Bottles!" "Nitrox Ready!"
This is what I use, though any old piston first stage is really the ideal O2 regulator. Scubapro MK2's are great for used ones since you can get them for basically nothing, and the parts kits are freely available for like $9.

uncfnp how does it cost you almost $200 to clean a reg? Airtech does it for $30/stage plus parts and they're the expensive guys... So maybe $100 total if you have a reg with expensive parts kits? Northeast charges average $50 and everything is O2 clean, so shouldn't be that bad...

...//...

uncfnp how does it cost you almost $200 to clean a reg? Airtech does it for $30/stage plus parts and they're the expensive guys... So maybe $100 total if you have a reg with expensive parts kits? Northeast charges average $50 and everything is O2 clean, so shouldn't be that bad...
I had the same question when I picked it up. I was quoted 100 or so when I took it in. As I recall the O2 clean kit itself was 50+. Then the parts for the second stage. Then the service charge...

I think by the time they were through it was just shy of 175.

Back
Top Bottom